Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you shoot a tresspassing dog? >

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Old 02-23-2005, 03:10 PM

Default RE: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Depends on the circumstances.

If I see a collar and the dog is just wandering, then no, I grab the dog and see who's he is, and contact them. If this happened several times, it would become a problem to be dealt with.

If I see a dog, with or without a collar, and it's obvious he's running deer, we get our hole diggin' gloves on. Same goes for any mean looking dogs, or any dogs with mean reputations.

For the guys who say yes, no exceptions, they shoot any dog they see, they probably don't have bird dogs. As good as some dogs are, they can't see property lines. If you are in the center of your 160 and a dog rambles by, that's your call. But if I am bird hunting with my dog on my or public land, along your marked or unmarked property line, and my dog walked 50 foot onto your property, while I was behind him, and it got shot, my dog might not be the one going in the hole.

I've gotten rid of plenty of dogs, and other nuisance critters, but judgement is needed.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 02-23-2005, 03:11 PM

NO, unless it is causing problems, then I would try to contact the owner first.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:13 PM

To me (I'm rural, own land, have cattle on it etc.... so I'm no city boy) the funny thing is most folks get uptight if a dog chases a cow or calf. But no one cares when the cows and or calves fight or chase each other. And I'm not out there shooting the cows when the tear down the fence, scratch up the truck, get into the yard and track it all up etc.... Yet let a dog run a cow and everyone gets tense. I know its off the total subject but I just don't see the difference.

While I'm off the subject grandma had a similar take the other nite(she's 89). Dogs hung around a cow that decided to have a calf right by the house. She was mad. Never mind the cow had the whole acreage to have the calf on and decides to do it right here. Never mind that when other cows bother a calving cow she'll go leave. But the simple fact that it was our dogs hanging around. Cow was fine. Calf was fine. Happens in nature all the time. Whats the big deal?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:17 PM
bigcountry

Shoot, Shovel, Shut up lol
bwhunter, your a real big man. I bet you are real proud of yourself.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:51 PM

I sure would drop that dog, my buddie trains bay and hold dogs for hug hunting and i have seen him drop others that strayed onto his hunting land. If someone is dumb enough to let their dogs stray like that ofter they spen that much tim and money on them i guess its their loss!
Old 02-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Dominant Buck

All states have a leash law ,
or other laws concerning animal control , all of which clearly state that the dog's owner is directly responsible for their dog . These laws also directly apply to hunting dogs . Many states , mine included , allow a property owner to shoot stray animals if they are causing damage to the property , or chasing game or livestock . If the dog's owner doesn't care enough about their animal to control it and run the dog responsibly then they don't care enough to keep it alive . Around here strays are routinely shot on sight . I give all critters a more than fair chance to feel unwelcome , repeat offenders get no quarter . Just the other day I gave a repeat stray cat his final "you're not welcome here" message , a well placed shot into the ground right behind him . Next time the miss , if any , won't be intentional . It doesn't matter whose pet it is or how much it cost , if you allow the animal to become a nuisance or hazard don't be surprised if it doesn't come back . Around here it probably won't .
Old 02-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I was squirrel hunting in Maryland once and a doberman was walking broadside about 20 yards away. I was nervous. I only had a single shot H&R with high brass #6 shot. Sure enough the dogs fur raised up and he was trotting straight for me. I pulled bach the hammer and shot him in the neck area. He stopped and trotted off. That was my only dog situation. I say, only shoot when you feel threatened.
Chuck
Old 02-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I do have to say though in Florida you will go to jail automatically if you shoot someones pet for any reason. They are real tough on sexual offenders and pet offenders.
Chuck
Old 02-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would never shot a dog with tags or that looked like a pet. Remember it's not the dogs fault. The owner is responsible for him (no, I'm not advocating shooting the owner). I have a dog and if someone shot him when he happened to be wandering the woods (for what ever reason) I would be looking for some serious payback.
With that said, we don't tend to have that problem in NY (can't hunt with dogs - for deer). I did have a beagle come up to me one deer season and found it amusing. Actually must have been a bad dog - he was 20 feet away and never knew I was there.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:51 PM

My Neigbors Dog...Hell Yeah...Old Beagle And Alwasys Come Here Chewing Crap Pooping And It Lives 1/4 Mile Away..Ive Tried But It Runs Like A Raped Ape...One Day....

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.