Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you shoot a tresspassing dog? >

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Old 02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

We have the same problem in NC...We own 3 farms...Its legal to hunt deer with dogs...These "hunters" drive around in pickups, with CB radios...drop the dogs off on the road beside our farms...and then go to the other side...If you aren't there they will drop off a couple of hunters to sneak on your land...The dogs have tracking collars...10-12 trucks full of hunters....best not shoot their dog on my farm...because its a felony in NC...Call the warden...he gets there after they have already gone...can't catch because they warn each other with their radios....Go complain to president of hunting club...they all blame another hunting club....We have owned these farms for over 30 years thats how long we have had problems with....we can't be there all the time...they know this...I'm at my wits end as to how to stop these guys....We have never had these guys approach us about hunting our land....maybe asking us to hunt with them...They just road hunt...or run dogs to land they have permission to hunt....I would love to have dog hunting banned totally....But these guys would then start tresspassing/poaching...so don't really know which would be worse....living in the country, you don't really want to make these guys too mad....Your timber might accidently catch fire...

There is nothing worse than getting ready to hunt in the afternoon, and getting in your stand....and hearing them drop off the dogs...it ruins still hunting for several days....

About 3 years ago my nephew had cancer...my brother had to go to the hospital for a few days, as my nephew was getting therapy....Those B@stards hunted his land every day...they had heard that he would be in the hospital with his son....There is nothing lower than that...

We have had them drive around gates, through crops, tear up farm paths with there 4wds...etc...They have no respect for anothers property...

I've never shot a dog in my life...and knowing its a felony...and would be hard to get by with, with the tracking collars, don't think it would be worth it....I have shot several deer...that their dogs were chasing....and got the word out at the local country store that they sure did push a nice buck by me that I killed...(not)....Now that we have coyotes in NC...I'm thinking it might be time to learn how is the best way to set traps or poison.....
Sure hope these good old boys deer dogs don't get into...................
Old 02-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know what to tell you. If I had good reason to believe that dogs were roaming my hunting ground for the purpose of running my deer off, I would be mighty tempted to shoot them.

On the other hand. This past deer season, one morning I was hiding out watching what I hoped was a likely spot for Bambi to amble to his daily bed when a rag-tag troup of dogs came trotting right across the field in front of me, diagonally across my line-of-fire. It was funny, about three dogs came across never seeing or winding me, and the last dog, a meaty black lab saw me and immediately turned and ran at a full run. He had had some experiences with other men I reckon! Anyway, the other dogs, seeing his reaction, high tailed it too. I picked up and moved, assuming Bambi wasn't going to grace me with his presence there that morning. I mentioned this to my hunting ground host, and he unambiguously told me to shoot those dogs. No hesitation, no contingencies, terminate with extreme prejudice. I was not happy about those dogs being there, and this seemed a pretty attractive prospect.

A couple days later, the same troop of dogs wandered across my field-of-fire. I thought about shooting, but the idea that I might be killing some little kid's favorite dog kept me from doing it. Even without this thought, I'm not sure I would do it. I like dogs and have two in my home. So . . . however attractive the thought is in the abstract, I found executing the deed, even with permission from the guy who had leased the land for raising cattle, was beyond my capacity.

Still, if I knew someone was running my deer off, I might respond differently. In the case I describe above, I'm pretty sure these dogs were just local dogs whose owners let them run free.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

you could have a lot of fun with one of those tracking collars, there is no telling how many creeks/rivers bottoms that dog might cross, or he could end up at the wardens house. like i said before, problem dogs and owners should be dealt with.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:57 PM

Stump,

I did catch you sarcasm. But I was serious.

I have a coon dog, bird dog, and yellow lab. The lab and the bird dog are trained very well, they listen to what I say.

As for the coon dog, Once these dogs get on track they are hard to stop. I am very carefull as to where I let out, as to make sure if they do run off I have some room to operate. BUT once in a great while a dog will take off running and not stop for miles. I do not want it to happen, but it has, it sucks. I have alot of money and time invested in this dog. I would be very angry if someone shoots my dog. I believe, without a good reason to shoot my dog, that they would owe me some money.

with that said, if a landowner came to me and said that if he catches my dog on his land he will shoot it, I would take every precaution to make sure that the situation would never come up.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:11 PM
bigcountry

Naw, I wouldn't shoot the dogs. Thats kinda a pu--y way of going about it. Be a man. Confront the people who initiated it. Thats the reason I see no good reason dogs should be used to hunt deer in this fashion. Makes for lazy dumb hunters.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its happened to me a couple times but the last time it happened they went home with one missing dog[:-]
Old 02-23-2005, 02:31 PM
bigcountry

Did you confront them? Or shoot and hide under a fallen tree?

Old 02-23-2005, 02:42 PM

I'd buy a trapping license and bait for dog.

It's really athetic how low people will go in the name of hunting. Using dogs to run deer to a property you can hunt should be illegal and punishable under crulety to animal laws. [:'(]
Old 02-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I confronted them the first couple times and they just kinda blew me off so i used the 3 "S's" Shoot, Shovel, Shut up lol
Old 02-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

NO

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.