Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Should Ethics be taught in Hunter Ed.?? >

Should Ethics be taught in Hunter Ed.??

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should Ethics be taught in Hunter Ed.??

Old 02-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Should Ethics be taught in Hunter Ed.??

First, I believe it should, but here is the question.. This past weekend, I went to a hunters education course. I took mine back when I was 8 or 9 years old, so I thought I'd take it again, with my buddy who ask me to go with him. The class went well, and I thought the instructor did a great job, with the class of 13. I didn't take the test, but I was able to feed information back to the instructors in helping them

One area that could've raised some debate or discussion was the "Ethics" area. This seemed to interest me the most. Many of the questions were obvious that everyone could agree with; Like "Is it ethical to shoot 100 pheasants and leave them lay?".

But other questions; Like "Is it ethical to hunt a deer behind a 100 area fence?" And of course the instructor said No!. After knowing what I know on here, it's obvious that all of us have different ethics, and many here do not agree with that statement.

With that being know, should ethics be taught in Hunter Education??? Or should ethics teachings abide by only the law?

What is your 2 cents on the issue.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Should Ethics be taught in Hunter Ed.??

I think they could use the time more wisely. You can't teach ethics in a hunter safety course. Is the state going to decide what is ethical now? It's sort of like trying to teach one religious doctrine.

Nope teach the law.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:44 AM

I believe it should be taught.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

How the heck can you teach Ethics? I mean it is a personal so who ever is teaching will have different approaches, responses, etc. It can not be taught it is instilled, even if a 9 year old hears it is unethical what dad and grand dad will say far out weigh what the instructor said until they are old enough or confident enough to make their own desicion/path. Teach the law, safety, identifying game, respect land owners and importance of the heritage of the sport.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Deerslayer, How you going to do it?

Sample question:A fawn doe and mother are standing at 28 yards away slightly quarting toward you. You are bowhunting out of a treestand using a mech broadhead.There is a crosswind blowing at 22 mph, would it be ethical to shoot this mother doe?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Question is who's ?????????
Old 02-18-2005, 10:15 AM

Basic ethics should be taught in class. HOWEVER, ethics and morals can not be legislated. They have to learned from the values of your family or society in which you live.

I think the simple hunting ethics can be taught in class. The simple things like is it ethical to shoot Robins for target practice...you know those kind of things. But over all ethics come from family and your sociecty.

I think just from this post we could come up with 10 simple hunting ethics.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:17 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Racor

Basic ethics should be taught in class.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some people wouldn't think it was ethical to shoot the mother doe,some others to shoot mech others would never take a quarting to shot etc etc.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Basic ethics should be taught in class.
Like what??

Quick Reply: Should Ethics be taught in Hunter Ed.??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.