Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 A Trophy is a Trophy - Typical or Non-Typical? >

A Trophy is a Trophy - Typical or Non-Typical?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Trophy is a Trophy - Typical or Non-Typical?

Old 02-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A Trophy is a Trophy - Typical or Non-Typical?

I've seen so many pictures of monsterous trophy bucks on here. It's amazing to see the ones you guys shoot!! My dad has gotten some very large bucks for our area and I look up to him alot. That's a different story!! I recently got my first buck this year with my bow. Seeing all these nice deer, looking at my dad He has never taken a deer with a drop-tine or a non-typical deer. If you were to be able to get a nice buck, would you rather have it be typical or non? What do must of you shoot, typical or non-typical? Thanks for the input!! - Buckhunter14
Old 02-16-2005, 03:12 PM

Default RE: A Trophy is a Trophy - Typical or Non-Typical?

I think most people shoot typical deer, I have never even seen a non-typical on the hoof.

If I had a choice, my preference would be to shoot the largest, most symmetrical/typical deer. I would love to shoot a non-typical though, because they're so rare.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like nice symmetrical typicals. A kicker or 2, a drop tine, split brow, those are cool and add character. Although I'd still fling and arrow at a big knarly racked non-typical, I'd prefer a more symmetrical buck. I actually dropped my personal size guide this season to shoot one with a droptine.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:34 PM

Nontypical antlers have alot to do with age. If you hunt in an area where the deer are not allowed to reach their prime, then chances are your never going to kill or even see a nontypical deer. There are lots and lots and lots of nontypical deer killed down here each year. I was looking at the leaderboard and entries at the various deer contest this year and like always, it appears that most of the deer entered where nontypicals. Personally I have about 5 different "dream bucks" with the #1 being a 175"+ perfect 12 pointer. I've been lucky and have taken several high scoring bucks, most of which being nontyicals. If a 160 class 10 pointer was standing next to a 160 class nontyical, I would take the nontyical. I love both types of bucks, and if there mature and have trophy size horns, I'm taking him........
Old 02-16-2005, 04:37 PM

i would like a non-tipical but i am a meat hunter

Old 02-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like non typical racks. I like all the junk.

That being said I have taken mature non typicals the past two years with one of them having a 6 inch drop tine.

So I would like to run into a mature typical this year although I do like the look of non typicals more[8D]
Old 02-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been lucky over the last few years to take a couple of nice bucks but always wanted a chance at a big non-typical ... I have a very nice 8 and 10pt typical and FINALLY this year took tha largest deer of My life a 14pt non-typical which was my second 14pt N.T. ..but THIS one was special ....if I have a choice (which normally we don't have) give be the non typical ..I LOVE them !
Old 02-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like em both!!!!! That said show me junk and I have a hard time laying off. Personally I like the deer that show high on both scales, you know a solid typical frame with a few character points thrown in for good measure (ie a drop, split brows, etc). This way I can have my cake and eat it too[8D]!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:45 PM

I gave up trophy huntin' years ago, rather chose a dry doe. That don't mean I wouldn't shoot an atypiclal buck if he presendted hisself, but I'd likely put the antlers on the barn wall with all the others.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot anything except fawns ,But like lots of junk on the head

Quick Reply: A Trophy is a Trophy - Typical or Non-Typical?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.