Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Not for weak stomach!

Old 02-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Not for weak stomach!

I was so tramatised by that hole, I didn't even look for an exit hole. And believe it or not the deer went about 60 yards....
Old 02-13-2005, 11:30 AM

This was the first deer I ever shot . I was 17 years old and used a Browning 30-06 and from what I recall 150gr ( was a FEW years ago now lol ) .

First shot was around the 150 yard mark . The deer went down in the field about 20 yards from where I shot . As I was walking up to him he started to get up and I shot him again in the neck . So the second shot is what did the damage in the second picture .

Not as bad as the deer in the first post but , I guess it could happen .

Old 02-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

ahhh ok... I missread it then. Yeah I could have shot another one to but I was thinking about all the hard work ahead
ORIGINAL: C. Davis

Drew,
I was asking jci63. I have seen exit wounds like yours before. If the bullet catches a chunk of something hard on the way through, it is not too uncommon to see an exit wound like yours.

jci63, says that his nasty wound is his entrance wound, and I was just curious what the exit wound looked like, and where it exited.

Looks like you shot the whole covey.

C. Davis
Old 02-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I saw this happen once before! Thats where the alien broke out then scurried away! Scary stuff man!!!!!!!!!

LMAO
Old 02-14-2005, 05:10 PM

i'd guess a 12 ga full choke at close range

that aint no rifle shot deer.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:08 PM

WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!???????
Old 02-15-2005, 09:21 AM

Posibly defective factory ammo?Or bad reloads?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I killed an average-sized doe three years ago at 75 yards with a .300 weatherby mag using factory Remington 180 PSP ammo.

The deer was running away at a very sharp angle, the entry wound was in the left buttock. The bullet hit the pelvic girdle and fragmented, leaving a grievous wound large enough to fit a 1 gallon milkjug in - Sideways.

I didn't even make a cut to field dress the deer, I simply dressed it through the wound, as it was split from the steaks through the rib cage on its side.

I admit, I made a bad shot, but my story is true, and I have 35mm photographs to back it up.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

As far as entry wounds go, my hunting partner last year took a buck at 125 yards with a .300 RUM, using that Winchester Ammo that comes in the silver casings with black ballistic tips (Black Talon, I think)???

At any rate, he hit the same location, it was a quartering-toward shot, where the bullet impacted just in front of the shoulder. There was no exit wound, just a softball-sized hole left at point of entry.

The wound was ragged around the edges, with lacerations and slices going through the surrounding hide and meat. Some bullet fragments did penetrate into the chest cavity and caused severe damage to the heart/lungs, but those fragments did not exit.

Again, that was softball-sized, but I'd say this hole looks a bit larger.

As someone posted above, relatively heavy bullets with little or no structural integrity(over 100 gr.) traveling at extreme speeds are capable of devastating and very unpredictable results, IMHO. The density of the target also plays a role.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll roll the dice and say roadkill with duct tape holding the antler back in place??? No way that deer was shot with a rifle.....unless you hit 6 times in the same spot.

Quick Reply: Not for weak stomach!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.