Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Not for weak stomach!

Old 02-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Not for weak stomach!

I think it's possible to do that much damage with a 7mm mag. Hard to say what combination of powder/lead one would have to use though. As far as the tags, I do exactly the same thing as you see on this deer. I attach my field tag near the base of one antler with a wire tie and then after I check it in at a game checking station I wrap the check in tag on the antler and use the small thin wire they give you to secure it. It looks exactly the same as you see in the pic.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

This may or may not be a fake, but I have seen this much damage from various bullets. If the bullet came thru from the other side and hit bone, it could very possibly have blown not only the remainder of the bullet but most likely bone, flesh, and skin thru causing this damage.

Also a front shot which went bad and hit the animal at a more or less type passing shot, it very well will cause that much damage.

Speaking from more than 40 yrs of hunting and using several different firearms over the years, you would be surprised what a bullet can do.

My 2 cents.

dog1
Old 02-13-2005, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

What was it shot with? A cannon.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:11 AM

i think it could be a bullet wound. i dont have any experience with shooting deer with rifles but last year I shot a deer with a 12ga slug from about 15yds that was quartering away at a tight angle. When I shot I rushed it and just put the scope right behind the deer's shoulder and the slug just went through and basicle tore the entire shoulder off. The hole was very similar to this one.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen a hit JUST like this before...I did it. I shot an 8pt with my .270 at about 30 yards. It was dead on...and I aimed just below the white throat patch.

I was 16 at the time...and I was right just a little. Took a huge chunk off the deer's neck. He fell over and I finished him off. That was a fluke hit, though....Not a through hit like the one described here.

I question the pic a little...but can't really doubt it's authenticity. Acutally, don't care. LOL
Old 02-13-2005, 07:06 AM

I guess anything could be possible. I was with a buddy last year the shot a doe last year with a 50 cal muzzleloader and when we approached it it has have of it's head gone. The whole top. We were digusted.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mpemt24

I guess anything could be possible. I was with a buddy last year the shot a doe last year with a 50 cal muzzleloader and when we approached it it has have of it's head gone. The whole top. We were digusted.
This I have seen happen, when I was young I took a doe with a head shot as she was walking straight away from me, using an 8mm mauser. Took most of head clean off only an one ear was left flapping. I also saw a buddy shoot a small buck with a 300 mag at around 200yds, hit it right where the head connect to the neck, the whole head cam flying off, completely severd it like a swift swing of a sword or something.
This pic is not a bullet whole you can see that the damge is more crater like, there was some type of critter eating on this deer, could be an exit wound and this deer was found the next day and critters started eating on the exit wound during the night.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ive seen a impala shot with a 338 win mag that looked like this. the bullet caught on sticks or brush and tumbled. this is the only way i think it could happen to tear open a hole like that.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

1) It's not an exit wound
2) That's not duck tape or any tape
3) Shot at over 100 yards

I shot this deer at over 100 yards, on the side you see. I don't know what happen, if the shoulder blew up or what. But thats what happen, and that's not duck tape it's my michigan tag!

Quick Reply: Not for weak stomach!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.