Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Camp

Old 02-15-2005, 04:06 PM

Default RE: Deer Camp

I use 2 to 2.5 gal. the wife uses 3 gal. when she is down. long hair. I have a 7 gal water tank on the side of the wood stove which makes really hot water.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually sleep under the stars in the Idaho desert. Alot of times usually with just one other guy. My elk camp is a lean too at about 8,000 feet 5 miles from the main road. All the gear is burried under ground. We pack it in during the summer. No 4 wheelers, cars or people. Just us and the wilderness.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer camp is a holy thing thing for us. We bought a camp 8 years ago that we are slowly fixing up. Should have burned it to the ground and started over but what the hell we love it. We spend 1 week every year and eat like kings. We have a gas BBQ and gas range and gas lights. An old woodstove heats er up real good even when it gets brutal cold. A couple of the other camps around us always love to drop in on us before the hunt and we always have quite a party. This year we deep fried a turkey and nobody wanted to leave after dinner. When the hunting starts on monday morning the party is over and we hunt hard from sun up til sun down ( matter of fact we are in our treestands 1 hr prior to sun rise). Might have a couple drinks after dinner but by 9.00pm we are all in bed. Then the last night we have another good party and you guessed it, all the neighbors end up at our little shack again. There is nothing like a week in deer camp. The snow on the ground, couple deer on the game pole, smell of firewood and hoppes#9 in the cabin. Man I can't wait!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh I enjoy this type of post!!

Some great information and pictures in here. I've already copied down a bunch of the ideas I've read. My group built a cabin back in the early 90s. It truly was a shack - and we called it the pigshack. It kept us warm for Lunch & Dinner - but we never stayed the nights there it just wasn't built for that.

In the late 90s - Me with a couple very young children, and an extended family that enjoys hunting - We decided to start a Cabin Tradition by building on the property. I had lots of help - and though we were underfunded - we've built a really nice place to go stay. Over the past few years - not many a fall day goes by without someone staying at the cabin. It makes for good summer and winter weekend getaways too. But in DEER SEASON - the camp has a life of its own. It is special this time of year.

Thanks for the post!

FH
Old 02-15-2005, 09:46 PM

More pics of mine, paid $100.00 for all cabinets and countertop from local contractor who was doing apartment remodels.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:29 AM

Thanks for sharing TC. Nice stove. Is that what you use to heat/cook?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:12 PM

The wood stove is only used for heat and there is a 7 gal hot water tank on the side of the stove. If you look in the center of the counter top there is a 3 burner propane range top cut into the countertop and a microwave to the right and I also have a grill outside for cooking.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

My family has a cabin in northern michigan which is old school. My dad and his long time friends, uncles, my brother, his buds, my brothers 2 boys as well, and my son and I. When I hunt around here in wisconsin during the rut we get a few campsites that we camp at for 10 days or so. We use tents and pop ups. We all have our own trucks and head out on our own and meet up later in the day. Then go to our trees for the evening stand. Go back to camp, drink and eat around the fire! Sure do love this sport! Just talking about deer camp is killin me! I need to get back up in a tree!!! Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:13 AM

All this talk of what camp life is like is making me think I should take up turkey hunting so I can go back soon! I've never been to my camp in the spring. I wonder what it's like without a roaring fire.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:53 AM

I grew up in and hunt mainly in the Allegheny Mts of WV, I have also hunted several times in Texas and the Rocky Mts. I started out as a boy with my Dad going to the mountains in a 1952 Chev PU carrying canvas, bales of straw, and kerosene lanterns. We now have built that into two army tents, full size gas range, cushy beds, elec generator with lights and color tv. Each year I keep a diary of the hunts and it is fun to review all those years gone by and the interesting things that happened and remember the guys that are gone. It is great every year to hear the same old hunting stories repeated and smell aroma of wet wool, pipe tobacco, and oak wood smoke. I hope to live long enough to pass this experiece on to my grandkids.

Quick Reply: Deer Camp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.