Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Camp

Old 02-11-2005, 09:55 PM

Default RE: Deer Camp

ORIGINAL: AlabamaDan

ORIGINAL: Slamfire

All we had was a little 8x12 plywood shack in the middle of our wood lot...
Yeah my best friend has one fo those. You still have all the fellowship and fun, but on really cold windy nights it's brutal.
Lord we didn't overnight there, the house was only a couple miles away, it was just close to the stands. [:-]
Old 02-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

TimberCreek, does the barrel of water freeze up in the winter? I'm planning to go with a 1,000 gallon concrete cistern underground, where it won't freeze, but that will require a pump since it can't be gravity fed. How often do you have to clean out the debris/screen?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2005, 06:23 PM

The barrel only freezes from the top and the hose siphons from the bottom. I have had trouble with the hoses outside of the barrel freezing but this is well after the season is over. Once I did not shut off the water going in to the kitchen sink and the pipe burst. There are two debris screens and surprisingly they stay pretty clean, I clean it every couple of months.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:34 PM

we have privet property in vermont and we got like 15guys and we do everything together and have fun share meat and everything i love it
Old 02-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks!

I have heard that one tablespoon of bleach will disinfect 1,000 gallons in an hour. I plan to put more than that in there though. Like you, I won't be using it for drinking water- just showers, toilet and sink.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:12 PM

I'm really enjoying this thread guys. Learning lots... Thanks.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:07 PM

Picture of vented battery box, has four deep cycle batteries for the solar system.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:12 PM

Shower stall with 12v pump and 3 gal tank. fill tank with hot water.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great information. About how much water have you found to use on a regular shower washing to get scent free before a hunt?
Old 02-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I belong to a hunting club that was founded in the 50's. My grandfather was one of the original members. When he passed away in the early 70's my dad inherited his membership and started taking me. When I graduated from college in 82' and was no longer a part of his household I had to join on my own and pay my own dues. We've got about 50 dues paying members, although only about half that many actually hunt. The others simply enjoy the social aspects. For the ones that do hunt there's deer, turkey, ducks, doves, squirrels and here lately, even wild hogs. The hog thing is a new development as we didn't have any in this part of the state until recently.

Our camp has evolved over the years from a single main cabin to where now several members have built their own structures or moved mobile homes down there. We've got a lake and most have situated their buildings or trailers around it. So now, instead of everyone co-mingling in the main camphouse as they did when I was a kid, they've all kind of separated into their own smaller groups. I like the privacy of having my own cabin, but I also miss the way things were back in the old days when we all slept in one big bunk room and ate together in one dining room. I wish my son could experience the way it used to be. We had some real characters in our camp back then.

We still hire cooks to cook for us on weekends during deer season in the main cabin (which is now a metal building because the original cabin burned down), but now they only cook breakfast and lunch. For dinner everyone does their own thing. There's a certain group of guys I associate with and we'll usually grill out steaks, venison or porkchops or fry some fish or whatever for dinner.

I feel really blessed to have the opportunity to belong to this club and I hope my son can get as much enjoyment out of it as I have over the years. So far he loves it. Some of the guys are going down in a couple of weeks to blow up beaver dams and he's really looking forward to seeing that. So am I.

Quick Reply: Deer Camp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.