Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Camp

Old 02-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Camp

I own 120 acres and an unfinished cabin in WV that I've hunted on with different people over the past 7 years. I am trying to get together a group of people to work toward finishing the cabin and establishing a regular deer camp. Trips there are among the best I've ever had too. To me there's nothing quite like the enjoyment I get out of being in camp the day or two before the season starts with everything ready to go and the anticipation of the hunt.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Well I have done both a deer camp some years and not doing one other years. I am 23 and have been deer hunting since I was 14. For the first few years we would spend some time at a friends deer camp (at his cabin), but also a lot of hunting just driving to and from oour hunting location every day. Then the gentleman who owned the camp passed away and my father bought it. Since then we have gone to deer camp every year. It is a simple cabin, small main area, bathroom that works (once in a while), and two lofts. We have a gravity-fed srping providing water to the cabin, and a woodburning stove for heat. The cabin is on a dirt road in The Catskills of NY that you need 4 wheel drive to get to. We usually have between 4 and 8 or 9 guys at camp. We would have more people there but even 8 people is REALLY tight. There are two other deer camps on our mountain, so at night there is a lot of BSing and of coarse a little beer drinking. We usually eat at camp but once or twice during the week we will go to the local pub, have a burger, some beers, and play a little darts. Everyone is usually there for a week, but sometimes longer. Last year I spent two weeks there and still didn't want to go home.

In my opinion the entire hunting experience would not be the same if we didn't have a deer camp every year. The land we used to hunt had 10 times the deer and wasn't near as mountainous, but I wouldn't trade hunting where I do now for anything.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

jpm8920, not wanting to come home after two weeks? You must be married! I agree and think of us deer camp hunters as really a special group of people to be able to enjoy the comraderie of deer camp the way we do.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with you jpm - the land around home where I bowhunt and spend most of my time is loaded with deer. The land at camp has really big woods, big hills and low deer density. That said, I still save a tag for hunting with the guys at camp, when I could easily be around home someplace shooting a farm deer without much difficulty. I'd definitely rather be up there, but the drive is long and I only make it once a year.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:04 PM

My deer camp is a bunch of campers and one community building for whoever doesnt have a camper. We have a cook shed and everything, and most nights we have a fire, but when it comes to huntin, we all go our own seperate ways. Everyone has their own spot(s), so we dont bother eachother or anything. As they said before, alot of heckling goes on at camp, for anything you could possibly do, but its all in the name of fun. Deer camp is an experience in itself, its not all about huntin. The friendship and camraderie is what makes huntin special to everyone at my camp.

PS quite a few beers are consumed in the after hours around the fire at my place too
Old 02-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like our camp timbawolf
Old 02-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

I wish you guys would quit posting, it's just making me crazy wanting to go hunting . I go with my sons, 11 and 15 to our property. We go with some friends that have a pop-up camper and set up camp. I wish we had a cabin or something more permenant, but we enjoy what we've got. We have already started with some great memories (son got a 10pt 157+ buck last year). I have thought about trying to buy an old boxcar or caboose from the railroad and trying to fix them into a cabin of sorts. Anyone have any ideas on this? Anyway, I love this post, its just making me nuts!!!!! Larry
Old 02-09-2005, 09:47 PM

Great post. We have a family deer camp in MS and hunting just wouldn't be the same without it. It's an old house trailer that we've added on to several times over the years. It's on the outskirts of what is a drying up little ol town, so we're lucky enough to have city water, electricity, and a big propane gas tank. The place is in a sorta state of disrepair, but that's part of its charm.

There's usually some one up there during hunting season off and on. The doors don't even lock. There are alot of guys that I ONLY see there during deer season. We have a few guys who are musically inclined and they always play their guitars and sing, heck we all sing. We've even written (and recorded) songs about our deer camp with little inside jokes built in. The weekend after Thanksgiving is the best!

We have a number of stands around the property and every night we always sit around talking about "where ya going to go in the morning," and debates run off and on all night. Everyone has thier favorite, but we just switch up. Someone usually gets a deer each day and we eat the backstraps and tenderloins in camp. The hunter who pulled the trigger usually takes the rest - unless he wants to donate to the camp or the actual owner of the land. Remember its a family camp and we have no dues, no monetary dues anyway. We earn our keep by doing things around the camp while we're there and throughout the year. In fact I need to get over there and cut some firewood for next year. Noone assignes tasks but everything seems to always get done.

Anyway, we always cook. Everyone has a dish they cook. I'm usually the chef for venison or my special beans. We've got a guy who always makes the cornbread. Another makes the greens, etc.... We eat and eat until we're stuffed. We do consume some adult beverages, and in fact that's one of the only places I drink anymore. Some guys don't even bring guns....just coolers.

One of the neat things is getting to know folks at some of the other deer camps around us. We drive our four wheelers over to thier places and BS around. See who got what. Borrow stuff. Hunt on other people's camps. It's almost like the entire county is one big deer camp. Lots of fun.

Well I should sign off as I've just rambled. I'll leave with this. If you haven't experienced deer camp you just haven't experienced all hunting has to offer. That's over half the reason I hunt. Seeing as how I only saw four deer last year and they were all does, it's sure not just to sit in the stand.

This BBS is sorta like a deer camp....

Good thread...keep it up....

I'd like to see photos of other people's deer camps.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:48 PM

My hunting cabin, solar powered.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am unable to put a picture in here from image shack, but here's the link to a picture taken by mdbohuntr last year.

[img=http://img173.exs.cx/img173/8623/cabinsnow1pj.th.jpg]

Quick Reply: Deer Camp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.