Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's the closest you've been? >

What's the closest you've been?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's the closest you've been?

Old 02-07-2005, 02:11 AM

Default RE: What's the closest you've been?

ORIGINAL: Cloudwalker
That had to be the 2nd stupidist thing I have ever done in my life, but that's another story
Well whats the stupidest? You can't leave us hanging now. Care to share?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:05 AM

this season i was bowhunting in a ground blind and running past me and hitting my blind was the biggest buck i have ever seen while bowhunting. he wasnt running fast but i was in so much shock i forgot to draw the bow back. But i did see him once while rifle hunting!! oh well he will be bigger this season hopefully!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

And one of the most frightful experiences of my life happened when i was 17 i believe. I slept overnight in my ground blind on the field i intended to elk hunt in the morning. About 2 am i hear some crunching in the brush behind me, I am a little worried at this point because i have no idea what is behind me. As it approached out walks a little black thing beside the blind, a bear cub. So at this point the gun was loaded in record time and i hoped like heck momma wasn't around.
I just have to ask two questions. Why were you sleeping in the woods with bears? And, while knowing you were sleeping in the woods with bears, why didn't you have your gun loaded?

I used to have a pet buck. I know that don't really count but that is the closest one.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

A couple of years ago while bow hunting on the ground from a deadfall, I noticed a big doe exiting the pine thicket and heading my way. I was about 15 yards off the trail I thought she would use. I watched her feed along the trail. I got ready and drew as she got to about ten yards from the dead fall. Instead of taking the trail, she cut a path through the dead fall. When she came through the limbs she was about 2 feet in front of me. When I released the arrow it immediatly stuck in a branch on the other side of her and her blood splattered on my boots and clothes.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

I have had deer step over my legs while ground hunting.

Not all of em did....One stopped and looked me rigt in the eyes....I could feel the hot breath on my face when it snorted and took off. Deer went everywhere...no shots that morning, but I will never forget it.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

While tree rat hunting I have touched 2 in 20+ years .
While hunting from a pit blind last year I shot a doe at 4'
Old 02-07-2005, 11:37 AM

So close in fact that as she went past I gave her a light little tap on her rump with the butt of my rifle as she went by.
Once hunting in PA, the same thing happened to my father, but he slapped her with his hand.She ran about 30 yds and turned around to look at him,and then took off.

Last spring, I was in upstate NY for a turkey hunt and some fishing.I was looking out the window in the back of the property,when I seen this young buck by himself eating.So I put my boots on and walked out the front door to the side of the house.Then he turned around[away from the house],so I started to sneak up to him,the wind was blowing in my face and his head was down still feeding.I couldn`t believe how close that I was getting at about 10 yards! My plan was to smack him on the arse, so I had to get closer. My buddy{who owns the property],pulled in his driveway and was watching this whole thing going on,I didnt hear him,nor did the buck.I was 4 FEET AWAY,and ready to smack him when my buddy blew his truck horn.The buck turned around to find me that close to him he almost S#*t.Instead he snorted and blew a load of snot all over me then took off like a bat out of hell! I was drenched! I turned around to find my bud ,laughing on the ground,rolling around. We laugh about it all the time its brought up!
Well the buck hung around the property all year long, and was like a pet to him,he would let you get about 5 yards to him only if you had a few apples to give. Unfortunatly. his friend shot this buck during the muzzleloader season.He claims that he thought that it was a different buck, we beg to differ, and gave him a raft if S#*t.The worst part about it is that I lent him my 54 Cal, for the season.......OH WELL.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was leaning up against a tree, and had a buck come in from behind me. I looked around the tree as much as I could, and could see him standing not 2-3 feet away. He stopped there, and then turned and walked away. Being that close I'm sure he smelled me.

This past season I had a yearling come right under my 8 foot stand. I spit on her back twice, and she still didn't even know I was there.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: treehunter
I just have to ask two questions. Why were you sleeping in the woods with bears? And, while knowing you were sleeping in the woods with bears, why didn't you have your gun loaded?
My blind was set up on the edge of my farmland. I often spend nights out there especially during elk season because the elk come out of a Provincial Park and feed on the crop in the middle of the night and stay well into the morning. I am not allowed to hunt them in the Provincial Park without being drawn. The most effective way to morning hunt them is to go in that evening and sleep over night so that you do not spook them back into the park when u walk into the field in the morning. Walking thorugh canola stubble is not the quietest task in the world. I never had my gun loaded because i kept dozing off and on and i really never thought it was a good idea, and also illegal.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a doe come half way in a ground blind once. I did'nt see or hear her coming until we were nose to nose. It was definatley a kodak moment as we stared wide eyed at each other!

Quick Reply: What's the closest you've been?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.