Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's the closest you've been? >

What's the closest you've been?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's the closest you've been?

Old 02-06-2005, 09:08 PM

Default What's the closest you've been?

Several years ago while on watch during a deer drive, I had a doe come right by me. So close in fact that as she went past I gave her a light little tap on her rump with the butt of my rifle as she went by. I was standing behind a large pine tree. She took about two more bounds and came to a screeching halt and turned to look at me. It was comical to look at her trying to figure out what had just happened. She looked at me for about 5 seconds and then just walked away. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a close encounter like this.

Mr. .45-70
Old 02-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's the closest you've been?

I had a fawn doe sniff my boots when hunting fall turkeys once.........
Old 02-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a couple of deer jump over me when snake hunting. I had layed down to look in a den, and my dog chased them down in the creek and over the top of me. I've also moved several fawns out of wheatfields and one off the side of the road.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:50 PM

Hunting from a ground blind made of brush, I had a doe walk up and start browsing on my blind. I watched her for minute or two then watched her walk off. Then and there I was confident I was hunting an active trail!
Old 02-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

my dad kicked up a herd of does once on one of our little 2 man drives, and i was sitting legs out under a tree. they came barrell assin' down the trail right at em, like 9 of em, and one fawn ran over my ankle. no lie! it was pretty funny.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:16 PM

I had a doe run within a few feet of me when in a ground blind. When I sat up real quick another was standing only 5 feet away.

I have had many deer walk right under me, the closest that I've been to the gound when that happened, was in a 12' tri-pod.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Close enough to touch on the ground
Old 02-07-2005, 12:20 AM

Back when i was a youngin', I was driving home one evening after a hockey game with my dad and there were a pile of deer in our bales. Dad stopped the truck and told me to get out and go and chase the deer away from the bales. So the ambitous little bugger i was i ran out after them but when i got close i found one doe laying down. I walked up closer and closer and she never got up. I stuck out my hand and patted the top of her head and she got up and bolted. Another time while mule deer hunting i was set up in a little clump of willows along a fence line, i had several does and fawns jump the fence and begin to feed directly in front of me. One curious little guy came over towards me and was inches away from sniffing my leg. And one of the most frightful experiences of my life happened when i was 17 i believe. I slept overnight in my ground blind on the field i intended to elk hunt in the morning. About 2 am i hear some crunching in the brush behind me, I am a little worried at this point because i have no idea what is behind me. As it approached out walks a little black thing beside the blind, a bear cub. So at this point the gun was loaded in record time and i hoped like heck momma wasn't around. The cub comes toward the blind and begins to sniff the corner of the blind and then carries on out of sight. I feel very lucky because i have had the chance to be very very close to animals where as most people have not had the same opportunity.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:08 AM

Right after I had graduated from high school I was helping a buddy of mine track a big buck late one evening. 4 of us were walking through the woods looking for a blood trail when I stumbled upon a doe that had bedded down in some pines. All 4 of us were standing there with our flashlights pointed at her and I got this wild hair. The doe stands up and I get this bright idea to chase her through the woods. I take off running towards her at full speed but she doesn't run, she just stands there staring at the lights. I got about 5 feet from her and just dropped my shoulder and nailed her like a pro linebacker. She turned a flip and I landed on top of her while she is on her back. Anyone that thinks that a 100 lb. female can't whoop a man's a$$ has never rolled around in pinestraw with a doe.

That had to be the 2nd stupidist thing I have ever done in my life, but that's another story
Old 02-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Racor

Hunting from a ground blind made of brush, I had a doe walk up and start browsing on my blind. I watched her for minute or two then watched her walk off. Then and there I was confident I was hunting an active trail!
I had this happen twice this past season in 2 diffrent blinds. Talk about an awsome sight. I wish i had a camera with me the first time cause no one would believe me. took a buddy out another time and poof out comes this spike buck. My buddy soon believed me after seeing that!

Your ever notice how wide there eyes get when they notice you.like ...OOOOOOOOOHHHH CR#P NOW I'VE DONE IT!!!

AL

Quick Reply: What's the closest you've been?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.