HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Shed Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/89447-shed-hunting.html)

12 pointer 02-06-2005 10:53 AM

Shed Hunting

Where are the best places to look for sheds? I went just a couple times last year with no luck, but I plan on going more this year and would really like to find some. I live in southern Indiana where there's everything from stripper hills to huge fields. Where should I look most? Thanks

deershed 02-10-2005 07:09 PM

RE: Shed Hunting

Figure out where the deer are at,at time of shedding and hunt the sheds like you would hunt the buck.Late winter early spring food sources would be the areas to key in on.
Find the feeding areas and bedding areas and search the trails in between.Make sure the buck have dropped first.
While searching don't expect to spot sheds laying too far away.Some will stand out like a sore thumb,but most will be close before you spot them depending on cover.
I shed hunt in all kinds of different terrain and my average shed will be with in 20yds. before I spot them.And don't look for the whole antler,but for parts of it.Look for tips,the curve of the main beam,etc.
While searching make passes though your area keeping your passes close so you can cover everything.And don't be affraid to check the same area at a later date.Not all the deer drop at the same time so others might drop after you've searched an area.

Whitetail_Buck 02-10-2005 07:36 PM

I finally found my first 3... all in one day believe it or not. 2 days ago. a small 4 point side... a medium sized 4 point side, and a monster 4 point side. One was in a Pine Thicket... others in Sage Grass!

NJ Deer 02-10-2005 07:41 PM

kind of funny...i just found my first shed this year and it was on the side of my house where we feed them...small 2 point side...we have some feed on the ground but they liek to stand up and eat out of a small bird feeder..i think he tried it and knocked off the antler on the outside of the feeder..pretty neat though

TrophyBux 02-10-2005 07:57 PM

I've found some around fences, where the horns fell off from the jolt of the buck jumping over the fence.

TrophyBux 02-10-2005 07:59 PM

Or either the fence grabbed them while crawling under!

STUMPYBARNES 02-11-2005 06:35 AM

Around fences and ditches is th ebest place to look. Like Trophy said, the jolt usually knocks them off if they are loose. Found only one this year but it had a 10 3/4 inch G2 and a 9 inch G3.

huntnma 02-11-2005 08:01 AM

after a controlled burn is the best time that i like to go....most everything is gone from the ground and most of em stick out like a sore thumb, keep in mind they'll probably be burned .....we went to do a dead critter count where we burned and my coworker found a really nice one.....4 points.....there were a few snakers that got burned and an armidillo, i was shocked there wasnt more.....we'll go again after a rain to look for sheds only ;)