Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Whats the biggest gun u would use on a whitetail? >

Whats the biggest gun u would use on a whitetail?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats the biggest gun u would use on a whitetail?

Old 02-04-2005, 08:35 AM

Default RE: Whats the biggest gun u would use on a whitetail?

I want a clean kill. My ultra mag 300 does the job every time.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:59 AM

Anything larger than this is just silly.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

300 Weatherby
Old 02-04-2005, 10:07 AM

dont you know? you cant kill these steel plated deer these days unless you use a super ultra mag! anything less will just bounce off and they will laugh at you then run away!

yah right! [&:]

i dont think you need anything larger than a 308 or 30 06 but when i get me a 45-70 i will use it at least once.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

1865. I love that.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: James B

1865. I love that.
Thanks! I grew up an army brat and one of my favorite memories is attending a firepower display. I've been away from the life too long to tell you what they were shooting, but a cocky young officer had his boys lined up with 4-5 of those gigantic howitzers. WAAAAAAAAY downfield was a grove of live oak, with a few old vehicles, fake buildings etc, in and around it. The officer explained the firepower of his artie, then proceeded to have his troop bombard the trees for about 2 minutes. He turned to the crowd and starts talking "Ladies and Gentlemen, as you can see, no living creature could POSSIBLEY survive a barage of this magnitude." The second the words are out of his mouth a herd of about a dozen whitetails came charging out of the trees at top speed, heading for high ground! Still makes me smile.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:47 AM

Yep 1865 i need to order one of those right up and a few apaches for air support.

I always get a laugh on posts like this!!
Old 02-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I had a .338 winchester magnum, as someday I would like to, I would not hestitate to use it on either deer or pronghorn antelope. As someone pointed out, larger, heavier bullets won't expand on deer -- which means they won't destroy a bunch of meat -- but they will probably kill the deer or antelope just as effectively. Larger calibers may also qualify -- .375 H&H, .416.

Obviously you don't need .338 to kill deer or antelope. But what if it is raining, your other guns (.30-06, .25-06, .243) are all nice wooden stocked guns, and your .338 is stainless with a synthetic stock, which rifle do you take into the steady rain?

Of course, you have to be careful of your backstops with such a powerful cartridge, but you are supposed to be taking care that your bullet is safely contained even if you miss your target anyway.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Alsatian

If I had a .338 winchester magnum, as someday I would like to, I would not hestitate to use it on either deer or pronghorn antelope. As someone pointed out, larger, heavier bullets won't expand on deer -- which means they won't destroy a bunch of meat -- but they will probably kill the deer or antelope just as effectively. Larger calibers may also qualify -- .375 H&H, .416.

Obviously you don't need .338 to kill deer or antelope. But what if it is raining, your other guns (.30-06, .25-06, .243) are all nice wooden stocked guns, and your .338 is stainless with a synthetic stock, which rifle do you take into the steady rain?

Of course, you have to be careful of your backstops with such a powerful cartridge, but you are supposed to be taking care that your bullet is safely contained even if you miss your target anyway.
UHHHH maybe you need to go look at guns there alsatian . those other guns(30-06,25-06,243) ALL come in stainless synthetic versions. at least the ones in my safe are!

And take that old outdated 30-06 and shoot it at some steel plate and see the nice hole it leaves.

larger heavier bullets don't always mean a quick kill. i have trailed deer a long way after being hit by 45-70's and most recently a 450 marlin. and those heavy large bullets will expand.

But it's ok to desire a 338 win mag i wouldnt mind having one myself but then again i really would like one of each .
Old 02-04-2005, 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: deerslayer223

everyone has stated what their minimum is on a whitetail deer caliber i was just wondering what is the biggest caliber you would use on a deer? I've seen the damage on deer shot with the magnums and it is just to much in my opinion alot of meat is wasted. The biggest i think i would ever consider is a 30-06 and that would only be on big deer. I currently use a 6mm rem and find it to be the best caliber i have ever used for deer. So what is overkill to everyone what your max?

Largest caliber I've ever used on deer had a bore diameter of 0.729! Heck of alot bigger than anything mentioned so far. Shooting 1.25 oz of lead downrange at about 1100 fps @ 100 yards. Kills deer with extreme prejudice.

Quick Reply: Whats the biggest gun u would use on a whitetail?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.