Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Neck Shots on Deer Always Drop Them Cold? >

Neck Shots on Deer Always Drop Them Cold?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck Shots on Deer Always Drop Them Cold?

Old 09-08-2002, 10:50 AM

Default RE: Neck Shots on Deer Always Drop Them Cold?

nope..i would never aim at the neck...even if thats the only shot i would wait...its such a small target and as was said a poor neck shot will lead to a slim recovery rate...aim for the heart and lungs...a deer hit there won't go far anyway and i feel part of the whole experiance is tracking and following a healthy blood trail...but no i wouldn't recomment a neck shot..EVER!!!

Buck or doe big or small they all taste the same and are a trophy in my book.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:46 PM

I passed on a neck shot at a pope and young eight two years ago and to make it better it woudla been my first buck with a bow, he ws ten feet away, i was on the and he just stood there looking, i drawed, let it down, then drawed again held right on his neck and thought no i cant risk doing that to him, so he turned and ran off never offering a broadside, so no i dont take neck shots

"She said if I hit that fishin hole today, she's be packin all her things and she'd, be gone by noon....I'm gonna miss her, when I get home."
Old 09-08-2002, 02:07 PM
jjt

BJ
i dont always agree with you but i have seen the same incident you talk about. i have also ran across blood trails of elk and deer that nobody has followed out. only to find a bloated/rotten WASTED animal.
take the boiler house shot. it works very well

"EAT MEAT"
"VOTE NO TO GUN CONTROL"
Old 09-08-2002, 03:03 PM

Like others have said neck shots can be good if placed properly, (spine) but if not then you condem the deer to die a miserable death if you blow out the throat and don't hit the spine. If it's a close range shot and your sure of your ability to hit what you aim at then go for it, if not then go for the heart/lung shot. The deer will run off but not far and will usually leave a blood trail that a blind man could follow.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-08-2002, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

You mean there ain't one head shooter or butt shooter in this whole pack? I bet the head an' butt shooters are jus' keepin' quiet. I know yer out there. Seen yer handiwork. Deer 'thout a jaw or their guts shot out from the so called "texas heart shot". Not much 'bout texans I can stand, but thets 'bout the height of stupidity an' arrogance fer anyone from any state.

BJ
Old 09-08-2002, 07:50 PM
Spike

A neck shot is just too risky and I would never attempt one and to be honest, don't think anyone should. I don't really want to get into this...besides...there have been enough good post already about the negatives of this particular shot. Don't worry about the neck, be a true humane sportsman and take out the lungs or heart for a sure quick kill.

Old 09-08-2002, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read all the posts, but I speak from experience when I say that not all neck shots will instantly kill deer. One of the biggest deer I've ever seen (and shot) was hit in the neck by my arrow about 10 years ago. I saw him get up and lay down 6 times with-in 60 or 70 yards of my stand. My brother-in-law and I searched for him for many hours and never found him dead. My brother-in-law (who had the same experience a week earlier) thinks he saw my deer cross a road hours later into a park that NO ONE is allowed to hunt. Neck shots MAY KILL--but it's not a sure thing.

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just go ahead and "Rib them" You wont lose them that way .I neck shot one with a .243 a few years back .I heard him fall in to the creek .When me and my hunting buddy went to get him he was not there .We saw him walking up a hill and my buddy shot him with an 30.06.We got the deer home ,skinned him out and a perfectly mushroomed nosler 100gr.partition bullet fell on the floor from his neck.I made a mistake by taking a bad shot .luckily we were able to find the deer.Everybody PLEASE don't be a dummy like I was.Be sure of your shot.Make it the one that counts.

Danville Va.LAST CAPITAL OF THE CONFEDERACY
Old 09-09-2002, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I neck shot a deer years ago and will never do it again. I was about a mile back in and I had decided if the deer was close enough and it was a clean shot I would take a neck shot. Well the doe was close enough and I took a broadside neck shot, it killed her instantly. I will qualify this though, I had killed a lot of deer before this and knew exactly where to shoot and I knew I would hit my mark. The shot blew the spine to pieces and ruined a whole lot of good meat in the neck.

There my confession is out of the way, the boiler room is the only way I had ever gone before and will continue to be in the future. As others have said there is to small of a target in the neck for the average shooter, the boiler room is one that anyone can hit, if not you have no business hunting. A bow shot in the neck is STUPID!!!! I would challenge almost any new hunter to show me where to shoot a deer in the neck, most will shoot to high, some to low. If you do not know where the spine is you definantly have no business trying this shot.

The next time I am way back in there I will do a double shoulder shot.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

Quick Reply: Neck Shots on Deer Always Drop Them Cold?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.