Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is Poaching Okay???

Old 03-15-2005, 10:51 PM

Default RE: Is Poaching Okay???

I look at this question of is poaching ok during times of very hard times for a family as a very theoretical equation. There are way to many factors involved in this question for any of us to answer unless your at that stage in your life right now! I know I am against poaching, I wouldn't poach and don't think its right for others to poach. With that being said if I lived in the country and was faced with letting my sons starve I know I'd do anything within my power to put food on the table for my boys. I live in NY state where the Welfare system is the cream of the crop, so it would never come to that point. And of course I'd sell just about everything of value to feed my family. However with all that said I look at the few Amish people who I have met that live not to far from where my property is. (not my house I live in a suburb of Buffalo. I am fortunate enough to own a few acres boardering state land in WNY that I hunt on near a large Amish community.) The Amish live very meager lives. Most of the ones I know have no electricity, phone, car, or any of the other worldly goods we take for granted. They live simple, religous lives, living off their farms, lumber, mills, craft shops and small wood working shops. They are very good and hard working people. I'd find it very hard to find fault with them if they had to go out and "poach" a deer to feed there family during a rough winter. They still live in the days of the American pioneer. If you haven't visited an Amish community do so. It is amazing to see that people still live that way. Often walking around with no shoes, working very hard to make a living so they can pay the property taxes on there property. They don't take welfare from the state and they don't believe in it. They do take care of the community though the church, friends and family.

I guess my point with all of this is "never say never" to anything. Just my two cents.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:26 AM

Brushchimp..................sorry for the typeo, no offense intended. As for others who hinted at some of us might have first hand knowledge, the only knowledge I have as far as poaching goes is my family being in law enforcement & game wardens. Yes there are many of US who went into the military to change our life styles or see the world, I am thankful for the education & training that I recieved. If it wasnt for the USN then I sure wouldn't have the job that I have today.

I guess my point with all of this is "never say never" to anything. Just my two cents.
Rwalter said it better than I could & also in a readers diget version. We can all sit here at our computers & speculate on what you would or wouldn't do........................But until you come to that point to where you have to make that decision you cant answer the question 100% No.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Rwalter63

However with all that said I look at the few Amish people who I have met that live not to far from where my property is. (not my house I live in a suburb of Buffalo. I am fortunate enough to own a few acres bordering state land in WNY that I hunt on near a large Amish community.) The Amish live very meager lives. Most of the ones I know have no electricity, phone, car, or any of the other worldly goods we take for granted. They live simple, religious lives, living off their farms, lumber, mills, craft shops and small wood working shops. They are very good and hard working people. I'd find it very hard to find fault with them if they had to go out and "poach" a deer to feed there family during a rough winter. They still live in the days of the American pioneer. If you haven't visited an Amish community do so. It is amazing to see that people still live that way. Often walking around with no shoes, working very hard to make a living so they can pay the property taxes on there property. They don't take welfare from the state and they don't believe in it. They do take care of the community though the church, friends and family.

If you think the Amish are poor you need to live beside a few of them for about a year.
Food almost every dinner has almost as much as you do for thanksgiving
dinner.
They are very proud people that live by what they believe in.
BUT and I mean BUT most any of the Amish family's that I have known personally(spent 5 years in Lancaster co PA.the heart of Amish country working on a non Amish farm but we all helped each other)
could buy & sell you and your house & what ever else you have and still have money left to buy the neighbor out.
AND if they run short the go to the CHURCH and borrow just like you do from the bank.

I know this is off topic.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:28 PM

fastfire

[/quote]
could buy & sell you and your house & what ever else you have and still have money left to buy the neighbor out.
AND if they run short the go to the CHURCH and borrow just like you do from the bank.

This certianlly maybe true with a lot of the Amish. A few of the ones I am refering to are ones that I met initially at the hospital I was working at in that area a few years back. They had some pretty large medical bills and I sure they were struggling to make ends meet at times. Heck all it takes is one serious injury or illness and it could wipe out a life savings in a very short matter of time. I also know a of a couple of Amish farmers in that area that were close to losing there farms because the property taxes here in NY can be pretty high. The whole region has been pretty depressed for a while now and its impacting everyone. The area I am refering to is in Cattaragaus County.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:03 AM

The area I am referring to is in Cattaragaus County.

We have some close by in Steuben co & some on the other side in
Allegheny Co.
I live in Allegheny Co. so I know what your saying about taxes & the
area being depressed.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

You know, if these people have to poach, I wonder how all the other families that don't hunt, (I bet 95% of the poor and laid off) make it. All the inner city people that has never been exposed.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some on here have first hand knowledge on poaching and trying to justify it. Or thier deadbeat parents did it. We were poor as dirt too. But my father like my grandfather, and his father joined the military to keep from poaching or stealing or taking hand outs. None besides my father ever graduated high school. Sure they missed thier family, they all went to a foreign war in which my father gave his life. But its better than having every excuse on why you need to steal to make it.

Here's a lesson for you. Don't honor your dad by insulting someones parents.

Even the bible cuts people slack. A wise man in it knew himself when he prayed, Lord don't give me so little that I may steal and don't give me so much that I might forget you, but give me the right amount.

Have you ever pick up anything that wasn't yours. Maybe money on the sidewalk. Point is, if it isn't yours, it isn't yours. Just because someone lost it doesn't make it yours. How about someone's respect for their parents? It's obvious you have tried to steal that.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok...lets say your 50 miles from town turkey hunting and as you squat down and take a good early morning dump a rattlesnake bites you where the sun doesn't shine. Would you go to you truck and drive 55 mph to the hospital or would you break the law and drive like a bat out of hell to get to the hospital? If you speed you are breaking the law. A law is a law right. Or maybe you would use some smarts and do what you must to survive. Laws are here for a reason but there are times when you must use your head and do what you must.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

Ok...lets say your 50 miles from town turkey hunting and as you squat down and take a good early morning dump a rattlesnake bites you where the sun doesn't shine. Would you go to you truck and drive 55 mph to the hospital or would you break the law and drive like a bat out of hell to get to the hospital? If you speed you are breaking the law. A law is a law right. Or maybe you would use some smarts and do what you must to survive. Laws are here for a reason but there are times when you must use your head and do what you must.
(hey sorry for bringing this back a while ago guys) but i agree with him (didnt know it would stick around so long lol) [8D]
Old 03-20-2005, 09:52 AM
bigcountry

Here's a lesson for you. Don't honor your dad by insulting someones parents.

Even the bible cuts people slack. A wise man in it knew himself when he prayed, Lord don't give me so little that I may steal and don't give me so much that I might forget you, but give me the right amount.

Have you ever pick up anything that wasn't yours. Maybe money on the sidewalk. Point is, if it isn't yours, it isn't yours. Just because someone lost it doesn't make it yours. How about someone's respect for their parents? It's obvious you have tried to steal that
What??? See junior, I don't need a lesson from you. I got it from my grandfather, who told me, "stealin, is stealin and obey the laws of the land". I believe you need a lesson or two. I feel pity for you that you didn't have someone to teach you a well needed lesson. But its not your fault. You can't help it.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Still going strong aye! Poaching is criminal, you can't justify it either, you can try till your blue in the face like some on here have, bottom line is that it is against the law. Plain and simple!

Quick Reply: Is Poaching Okay???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.