Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is Poaching Okay???

Old 02-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is Poaching Okay???

This is from a site dealing with Ohio.

Settlement
With the change from forest to farm as well as unrestricted hunting caused large numbers of deer to die.

19th Century
As the population of settlers in Ohio grew, the deer population decreased. Hunting restrictions were established in 1857. However hunting seasons that lasted over a month with no bag limits continued through most of the 1800s. In 1882, A.W. Brayton wrote, "The Virginia Deer is rarely met with in Ohio at present, except as domesticated in parts." There were no hunting seasons between 1897 and 1899.
20th Century
By 1904, white-tailed deer were extirpated from Ohio. In the 1920s and '30s, a limited restocking program began as well as the natural migration of deer from surrounding states into Ohio. By 1937 they were reported in 28 counties. By 1943, they were recovered [glossary] enough to begin a regulated hunting season, with hunting in all counties by 1956. By 1995, the deer population had reached 550,000. Deer are found in all 88 counties and are kept in control by a regulated deer season.

The importance of the deer in Ohio was confirmed in 1988, when it was recognized as the official state animal.

extirpated.To destroy totally; exterminate

Yup the only reason we have hunting seasons is so the state can collect revenue.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

From a couple other sites:

The early settlers of the county marvelled at the quantity of wildlife and game that existed in the woods. Much of this wildlife, including the whitetail deer, was gone within two generations. The last record of a deer being killed in Tioga County in the 1800's was 1847.

Whitetail deer became a protected species. By 1907 it was a $100 fine for killing a deer or even possessing one. But starting in the 1880's farms off in the hills began to shrink and go into decline. Once people left their homes, the land went back to nature.

By the 1920's there was enough forest to support a deer population. By the 1930's a debate began as to whether they should be hunted. At first there was a great deal of opposition, but it was finally decided that a legal season for whitetail deer would commence in the fall of 1941.

Whitetail deer have played a very important role in the history of our country. They were used extensively by Native Americans for both food and clothing and also by the early settlers. Extensive clearing of land, unregulated hunting, and loss of habitat brought the whitetail deer population to a record low by the late 1800's. Changing land uses, strict game laws, and a lack of natural large predators have caused the whitetail deer population to rebound dramatically. Whitetails are the number one game animal in the United States.

Unregulated hunting in the late 1800's caused deer populations to be eliminated, except in the Black Hills. Through progressive wildlife management in the 1900's, deer in South Dakota have been at record levels for a number of years. While populations are regulated by hunter harvest, average deer numbers for the past 20 years far exceed historical population levels.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:48 PM

I don't believe that we should poach, We have to manage to keep our herds in good status. There are plenty of hand outs out there in the states, it's not necessary to go out and potch an animal. Usually those who talk of such situations are only making excuses for themselves to go out and hunt. Although I do believe the Fish and Game Departments do need to lower their fees. It's just one of the ways that our government exploits money from its people. Hunting should be affordable to any income. It shouldn't climb every year just because the majority of people are willing to pay to do what it is that they love. I know I'd take a second morgage out on my house to hunt, if that's what it took.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think its ok, because like young_gun said poaching is poaching and if you bend for one.. the rest can say that too.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

In modern times poaching should never have to be an option. There are alot of places to get help if it came down to someone poaching for food. There are other options out there. Like others have said if you do it for one you have to do it for many.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:01 AM

I grew up in a very poor, rural area and poaching was the norm. The farmers around our place all carried a rifle on their tractor and when they needed meat they came home with meat.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you this, if my 6 year old is hungry and I have no other way to feed him and there's a shootable deer close by my little man won't be hungry for long.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:10 PM

I might step on some toes here, That's like saying selling drugs is ok but only if it's used to feed your family, come on folks, the law is the law, I know there is a big difference between poaching and drug dealing, but it dosen't make it right none the less. A crime was commited. I would make sure that the situation never happens and work 10 jobs to feed my wife and boy.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: recurver67

It use to be called a "NATURAL RESORCE" but times they do change.
I was waiting for someone to say something along those lines, and I completely agree. How can any state government "own" a natural resource? I know, it doesn't matter. They do and that's the end of things. I don't want a response, but just some food for thought.

I've stayed out of the argument as long as I could, but this is getting old folks. It's been said numerous times now that those of you against poaching in order to feed your family have probably not ever been in that type of situation before. And it's true. While I understand your arguments, I don't honestly see how you can continue arguing without ever having been in that situation.

I have, or at least I've come close. My parents split up, bills were due, and my mother and I had to sell quite a bit of what we owned in order to stay in our home with just a little bit of food every day. The only good meal I got were the free lunches I recieved at school. That month we got an eviction notice from our landlord. I sold my shotgun, my rifle, and my fishing equipment to help pay the bills. I was 13. My mother tried to get help from the State, but as another person in this thread said, she made about a dollar or so more than the state "required" for assistance. Eventually my father noticed the problems we were having and he and my mom settled their differences and they moved back in together. Had they not gotten back together I may have had to poach an animal and I would have had absolutely no problem doing it.

Until you've been in this type of situation you really have no room to talk. I don't expect any of you who have been arguing against poaching to change your minds. You're all absolutely right when you say that poaching is illegal. Those who do it are criminals. But if I had to choose between being a criminal and going without food, I would gladly become that criminal. The state won't always provide assistance to those who need it.

I don't want any of this quoted. I don't want any of this argued against. I didn't post it to start arguments, I didn't even want to participate in this argument. I thought that maybe by sharing my story you might get a little insight into a poor person's life. So please, don't quote me, don't argue with me, just think about what you're saying.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

When you need the meat in hard times? Something to provide for the family... Or is poaching still the wrong thing to do no matter what. Your 2 cents?
Poaching isssssss Poaching and is wrong.

Now if you tried all ways to get food and couldn't get any.

I wouldn't frown on it.

But I would go to my hunting buddys and
ask for some of what they have in there frezzer.
I have done that before and I won't forget them for it to.

Now if they did go and got turned down and all else failed

I would go and shoot the first thing I saw.

I wouldn't let my kids go hungry regaurdeless.

But I would go and do my best to get the food some where else first.

So it is our part to help other hunters when they are down on there luck

Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Is Poaching Okay???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.