Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Antler Reproduction Question

Old 01-31-2005, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Antler Reproduction Question

If I found a huge shed antler but couldn't find the match, could one be made? I'd love to put my prize on the wall but it's just not the same with only one antler. If someone could do this, would it be outrageously expensive? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:22 AM

Default RE: Antler Reproduction Question

I don't know the pariculars(lots of help right?). But I have heard of people who shoot world class bucks having reproductions made so that they can sell the originals. It doesn't sound like what you are looking to do is much different than that.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:27 AM

Ya i agree with 1865, usually the big record bucks get replicas made of them to take around to shows meanwhile the actual deer is tucked away safely behind locked doors and a team of pitbulls. If they can make a 200 plus deer look exaclty like the original i am pretty sure they will be able to help you out, but it may cost. My suggestion is get a jacknife, a block of wood, some stain and get widdling
Old 01-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

To answer your questions, yes, it can be done. Creating reproductions of existing antlers is different than creating a mirror image of one. I don't know what outrageously expensive means to you, nor can I give an exact price, but it could very likely be more than you want to spend.I guess that would depend on what it's worth to you. Also, finding someone who can do it accurately will be the first challenge.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what outrageously expensive means to you,
probably the same as it means to you. It sounds like too much to be worth it. Thanks for the replies. I'll just have to find the matching shed.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Those reproductions of record deer usually bring over 1000 dollars
Old 02-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was told by a taxidermist that is commisioned to sell/produce replica mounts of the Hansen buck that the mold cost 3000K USD to make and then an additional amount dependant on the number of casts ordered (the price was based on quanities ordered). The cost for a Hansen Replica is 3500 USD.

Any way he explained fabricating a tine or such is easily done in house but having to make an entire rack required the mold and have it cast, ensuring it would be durable and correct. This process they go elsewhere and in their case order from a US company (not sure which one). I would guess you may be looking at needing the same thing, he mentioned they did the mold based on measurements and re-creating...never did they set hands on the original antlers. So I would say they could assume the other side was a mirror image and like any shed try to figure out the spread for the skull plate to be mounted. My guess the Hansen price was indicative to the value of the replica they reproduced, meaning a World Record! Just saying I am not sure if every mold or cast would cost such an amount as he mentioned.

A call to your taxidermist or a well known one in the area would surely give you a better idea of the process, possibility and cost involved.