Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Acres per Deer Hunter

Old 01-31-2005, 09:45 AM

Default RE: Acres per Deer Hunter

Where I hunt the land owner has 400 acres of land. However on that land there are two houses and a huge cow pasture. With that said there is probably only 50 or so(maybe even less.. when i get to thinking about it it sure doesn't seem like very many) acres of land. IMO this land could suppose 4 or 5 hunters easily though just based on how its shaped.

Now if you have greedy hunters that try to fill their tags and bonus tags and all that then you might have a problem. This year the 4 of us that hunted it each just got a doe. In addition to that the land owner got a nice 8pt and possibly a doe, I don't really know. We only hunted a few Saturdays but everyday we seen atleast a few deer. Again this has a lot to do with the shape of the land since you are able to drive them easily and beable to predict basically where they will go(One week it was just me and my uncle and he was able to sucessfully drive the deer right to me all by himself).

I would say it depends on who your hunting with (friends and family as opposed to strangers - better comunication and understanding with friends and family) and how hard you plan to hunt(driving it a lot, filling all your tags, etc).
Old 01-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our property is pretty square with one side of county road frontage (gravel, not traveled very much). Thousands of acres of crops (corn and soybeans) in the river bottom are approximately 1/4 of a mile away. We have 8 members who all prefer to stand hunt. We are in the process of deciding if we should allow any guests during the peaks seasons. I say no, others say yes. I prefer to have several options each day when i hunt depending on wind, weather, time of season, and previous hunts.
We have a cedar thicket thats approximately 20 acres that we have already posted off limits for a sanctuary. And a cabin (electric, water, sleeps 13 comfortably) that we try not to hunt near. We are also iin the process of trying to purchase another 40 acres but until then were stuck with what we got.

thanks for all the insight, hopefully i can persuade everyone else that 8 hunters is more than enough for one day.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Twenty acres per man would be bare minimum due to the pressure ,
that roughs out to 9-10 guys .
Old 02-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few spots which have about 200-250 acres per spot. More than 2 hunters on one spot for rifle hunting sound crowded to me.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

We have about 1 per 160 acres, and that is plenty.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have 200 acres and can legaly shoot on about 225 acres. We have 7 guys max inc the owner(he rarely hunts deer). It is very rare that all 7 guys hunt.

I would personaly like to see 3-4 max. I was just about the only guy hunting this Jan and saw as many "quality" (bucks/does) deer in 2 weeks than I did the entire fall season.

IMO using Rifle vs Shotgun might be another key factor in hunters per acre. We are Shot gun only. One problem with too many guys is after 2-3 days hunting the deer become nocturnal or simply vacate the area,particulary the decent bucks.

Something you might consider with a new club.We have done since day one;
We nailed up small piece of plywood to tree. We drew an outline of farm on board.We put black dots with stand # and a nail at each stand location. Each hunter has a copper plated circle with name or initials. Each hunter must hang his tag on stand # before he goes to stand. As a general rule 1st guy to show gets 1st pick of stand. The property owner likes it,prevents arguments,another hunter walkin to your stand and everybody knows where everybody else is.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

We have 9 hunters on the lease that share 5500 acres. Very rough terrain, comes out to be about 610 acres per person. Sounds like a lot but when you take into consideration the amount of canyons we have and the size of them it comes out to be a lot less.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt one piece that is just over 300 acres and 7 guys hunt there. I never feel crowded there even with all of us there! I hunt a 64 acre piece that 2 guys is all it can handle! I also used hunt an 18 acre piece that is perfect for 2 guy's. It is a long skinny piece of thick cover with a county park on one side that has a hunting club that drives the park on the far side and a different club on the other side of the property. One guy at each end of the piece and just sit tight. Deer run back and forth all day long! Plenty of action for two guys who are about 150 yards apart! It all depends on the lay of the land if you ask me!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:07 PM

i would say no more than 8 and u need to know were each person is and not shoot that direction, espicially with rifles. we use shotguns were i hunt. and im the only bowhunter during bow season
Old 02-02-2005, 01:16 PM

genaral rule of thumb in texas is 1 hunter to every 100 acres. it tightens up a bit in deep east tx. bout 1 hunter to 80 acres thats what tp&w recommends to land owners. i have 1370 acres in the hillcountry we never see each other while hunting and all get our 5 deer limits. so i guess its how the terrain is.

Quick Reply: Acres per Deer Hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.