Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

brand of scopes

Old 01-30-2005, 05:31 PM

Default brand of scopes

I was just curious as to which brand of scope is best to buy. I am looking into bushnell, nikon, and leupold. I obviously know leupold is excellent, but mainly looking at the other 2...I just want a nice solid, easy to see through, works well in low light conditions. Its going to my slug/turkey gun...so I am looking at a really low mag adjustable...thanks for everyones input...
Old 01-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: brand of scopes

I have a nikon monarch on my 30-06 and it works well.Its a very bright scope and so far its held its zero.But I am kind of leary about how it handled this year when I hunted extremly cold temp.I found the scope lenses fogged up and the variable adjustment rings were hard to move.Mechanically I was not impressed. But this was extreme temp minus 15 to minus 40. If I was to put a scope on a gun in a magnum cal. > 300 win or or if I was to hunt in tough rugged conditions with extreme temp conditions I'd go with the Bushnell 4200. The rainguard works well,and and they are tested on a 375 H&H so you know they will hold the zero on a heavy recoil gun. This scope is tightly sealed and won't leak. They are a very reliable scope.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:24 PM

Leupold. Best scopes on the market. You dont need to shell out all the money for a Zeiss or Swarovski when Leupold is just as good if not better. As far as a shotgun/slug scope, i'd go with a Leupold VX-II 1-4X shotgun scope. No better scope for a shotgun IMHO. I have mine on a cantileved barrel. I sighted it in once and it hasn't moved yet. Sure, i check it every year, but its still rock solid and right on. if i want to go for turkeys or pheasant, i just slip that barrel off and put the bird barrel on. Leupold rings, mounts and scopes are the very best you can buy.

slayer
Old 01-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

You dont need to shell out all the money for a Zeiss
The 3x9x40 ziess conquest sells for the same price as the leupold vxiii 3.5x10x40.It also offers a constant 4" of eye relief and according to most people that have compared them, is brighter than the vxiii.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

i've owned just about every vari-x111 made and i've sold them all maybe i've just been unlucky but none have been very clear to my eye right now the best scope i have is a swarovski 3-12x56.as for your question i'd look at the nikon.i like the bushnell 4200 series but they may not have enough eye relief for a shotgun.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a new Weaver Grand Slam 2 years ago for my .300WSM and love it --- it's crystal clear, with no change in p.o.i. at different magnifications, and has maintained zero through a lot of shells on a .300. When I get ready to buy another scope, it'll be a Weaver GS.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would just get the Aetec scope. They have more eye relief than the Leupolds are very bright and clear and tough as hell. Midway has the 3x12 on sale right now for 139.00. I have several. I like them every bit as well as my Leupolds and they are much cheaper. The 2.8X10 is 129.00.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:03 PM

I have a Leupold scope on my Omega and I love it.I have the VX-1 3x9x40.I love the quality and it is made in America so I help my fellow Americans have a lob.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the 1.5-6x42mm Nikon Monarch Gold on my slug gun and it’s one of the brightest scope out of all the scopes I have. This scope is a little heavy but sure is solid and can handle the recoil of my slug gun. I also have a Weaver Grand Slam and I’m very impressed with the optics on this scope just as T-bird is and I would suggest the 1.5-5 x 32mm if you can find one. The Aetec is also a good choice for the price. If you have the opportunity I would say to go to the store and start comparing between different makes and models. Don’t get hung up on one make just because every one says it’s the best. The end result is that you’re the one using the scope. Good luck.....