Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 HOW MANY DID YOU NOT SHOOT DEAD ENOUGH? >

HOW MANY DID YOU NOT SHOOT DEAD ENOUGH?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HOW MANY DID YOU NOT SHOOT DEAD ENOUGH?

Old 01-30-2005, 08:37 AM

Default RE: HOW MANY DID YOU NOT SHOOT DEAD ENOUGH?

I missed 1 with the first shot but I dropped him in his tracks on the 2nd
Old 01-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-30-2005, 12:52 PM

I'll start off with one that don't really meet the criteria, I only got one shot, and found her the next day. [X(]
A couple of cow elk, but I just kept shooting until they fell down, one of 'em was definately dead before the second shot. And about a half a dozen deer, 2 whitetails, 2 blacktails, and 2 mulies. I found all those, then there are a couple of whitetails that someone else was taggin' when I walked up. I don't fight over that, they reduced 'em to possession, and have to start butcherin', while I get to go on huntin'. There was one mulie I never found, he stopped at the top of a rise and disappeared over the hill after the shot, and no blood, dry ground, never saw him again. I'd like to think I hit him, but have no evidence.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:08 PM

happend to me the first time this year. i shot a doe, she dropped down and her stomach hit the ground and she prang right back up. and ran down the hill and overanother hill. i went to where i hit her there was whitehair, chucks of what looked like bone/fat but i couldnt find any blood. i walked the direction that she ran but i couldnt find any blood. 4 of us walked every inch of the direction that she ran but we couldnt find her. it gave me the worst feeling in the world.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:17 PM

3 deer in my lifetime of hunting,that I hit and didn`t find.
The first one about 10 yrs ago, a 6 ptr opening morning 7:00am. Deer walking,head down about 30yds away,in a swamp.1 shot,then disappeared,no blood or hair,but I know I hit him.Looked for about 4 hrs,no find.The next day a club doing a deer drive pulled him out.

The 2nd one[6yrs ago] I still have nightmares about,probably in the 160 to 170 class buck,Hit him 2times in a field before dark,about 35 yds,no blood or hair,ran and stumbled about 120yds[in the rain].Looked for him 2 days,never found him.Word has it, a local resident found him dead in his back yard,adjacent to the property that I was hunting,the next morning.[thats another story].

The last one happened this past Dec. I think a 6pt[allI seen was bone], jumped a survey line running through a swamp.Shoulder shot,hit him good,though I thought.Lots of blood and hair,then his trail just disappeared,no more blood.Looked for the rest of the day in the swamp,nothing.I hunted that whole area hopeing to stumble across him, but didn`t.

All 3 deer were shot all with Buckshot.Right after I lost the monster buck,I went out and bought a Hastings slug barrel for my 1187.I never lost a deer shooting slugs,or any deer that I shot with a rifle.
The reason that I used buckshot [for only 1 day] in Dec. is because I was anticipating a club to drive the piece of woods that I was hunting in.

I have a ton of buckshot for sale!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:06 PM

I hit one deer and tracked it for well over a mile in the snow...(if there was no snow i would never have found it)...finally after a very long walk i jumped it bedding down and was able to drop it right there..that was one very long drag...so far in 6-7 years i havent lost one...i think it is inevitable but knock on wood it hasnt happened to me yet and i hope it never will...
Old 01-30-2005, 08:11 PM

not one
Old 01-30-2005, 09:33 PM

1 too many.I was sick about it.I hate to see a deer hit and not taken and it was really bad because it was mine.