HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   SO HOW MANY DID YOU MISS? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/88464-so-how-many-did-you-miss.html)

uncle matt 01-29-2005 08:29 PM

SO HOW MANY DID YOU MISS?

In all your years about how many deer did you shoot at and just completely miss with your FIRST shot? (Genuine efforts at honestly to be shared with others reading this and yourself are truly appreciated.)

I realize that some of these first shots are probobly going to be at running deer (not my thing), others patient & well thought out, some by bow some, by pistol, shotgun, machine gun?, speargun?, slingshot?. flyswatter?..........whatever. So please apply a wee bit of detail where necessary.

deerslayer223 01-29-2005 08:32 PM

RE: SO HOW MANY DID YOU MISS?

i missed 2 deer with rifle first shot. First deer i ever shot at i got buck fever and flinched bad and missed. I missed a spike buck 2 yrs ago first shot trotting, thats alright next shot found it's mark though and i had steaks on the grill that night. I have missed 5 with my xbow.

BigJake44 01-29-2005 08:35 PM

sGun 01-29-2005 08:47 PM

7th year of hunting, so far i've hit everything i've shot with a rifle. When I first started hunting I almost never shot. It was like I'd see a rabbit or bird take off but instead of shooting i'd just announce it and let others shoot. Pretty much the same with deer. If it wasn't a sure shot I didn't take it. As I got more experience though I grew out of that stage and blast away just like the rest of them now :-p

I think i'm 4 for 5 on deer. I've never missed one but I did wound one once. We tracked it for awhile but came up empty handed. All my other deer dropped dead on the spot but my cousin walked up on me while I was getting ready to take this doe and it started running(from behind me to infront of me). Wasn't a far shot only about 20 yards but it was my first on a running deer.

With the muzzleloader on the other hand, I have yet to hit one :D
I think i've probably taken 4 or 5 shots at deer now with it.

Gobbling Buck 01-29-2005 08:53 PM

This is my 27th year hunting and I can't begin to answer this question accurately. I will answer honestly though..........a bunch!!:eek: I've missed with rifle, pistol, and bow. So far I've missed with a truck / car every time except 1.[:@]

JerseyJim 01-29-2005 09:11 PM

I can think of 3 off the top of my head. The best one was when a buddy and I were walking back to my truck and 10 feet in front of us a 5 or 6 pointer jumps out of the cedars and starts running straight down the path. I pull up the shotgun and fined my target in the sites. The buck starts to veer to my right and I squeeze the trigger. As the buck disapears into the woods a cedar tree about two inches thick breaks about 3 feet from the ground and falls over. A DIRECT HIT! When I got back to my truck after looking for the buck I found my buddy there with the top of the tree that fell tied to my roof! He said I killed it so I had to take it home and eat it! Eat what you kill! Thats the rules! I still hear about that KILL every now and then! DOH!

Mr. .45-70 01-29-2005 09:56 PM

1 doe and 1 buck with my bow. 1 buck with my muzzle loader and knock on wood, none with my rifles. I've been hunting for 20 years.

cardeer 01-30-2005 12:56 AM

In 45 years ,never. I only shoot at deer up to 20 yards wiyh bow and 50 yards with gun.they must be standing still and broadside.

rybohunter 01-30-2005 09:49 AM

I've missed my fair share of deer thru the years. The longer I go the less I miss.

fl.huntress 01-30-2005 10:09 AM

i've missed one with my muzzleloader and quite a few with my bow.....victim of buck fever....i am improving since i built my bow range so hopefully next season i'll be droppin' them like flies.