Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Worst Hunting Experience

Old 01-31-2005, 05:38 AM

Default RE: Worst Hunting Experience

That is a very sad story.That is one of the reasons that I carry my cell phone with me out to the field.I know when I had my car accident,I was the one who got help with my cell phone.That is the main reason I hunt from a tree stand and try to know where the other hunters in the area I am hunting are.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I once shot a deer that was already dead. I took quite a bit of flack for it, too.

It was a really nice 4x4 whitetail that had been gutshot and froze to death in a bedded position with its head curled up against its body.

So, as fate would have it, I "sneaked up on him" and let him have it. Chunks of icy bone and meat went everywhere. Pretty embarassing.

I even radio'ed my hunting party to tell them that I shot a real big one, and he never even moved out of his bed.

The follow-up radio transmission - when I told them that I had, in fact, shot a frozen deer, well... that was pretty embarassing.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Dominant Buck

A super good hunter told me of a stand to hunt from. When I climbed it the step was rotten and broke. I threw the gun sideways and a nail ripped my side wide open in the dark. I had driven 70 miles here in Virginia and decided to stay. I scaped some oak leaves away from a tree and just sat there bummed out. A few minutes later I heard a door slam. Then a few minutes past I heard heavy walking through the woods. I was loaded with buck shot and had no idea what kind of power they had. I looked to where the noise was coming from and I swear it was the biggest deer and rack I had ever seen.It was about 40 yards away and it was moving broad side between 2 oaks at 3 feet apart. I got buck fever.
Chuck
Old 02-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have had a couple. The one from last year is a good one though. it was mid november. I got to my hunting lease a little late that day in the afternoon. I decided on a stand and when I got to it for some reason I changed my mind and went to another stand. well 40 minutes later I hear boom!!! It came from the general area of that stand I had orignaly went to. well I did not think to much of it. well it got dark and I had seen nothing all day. so I went back to the truck and when I get there one of the other memebers of the lease had shot a nice 12 pointer.. and yeah you guessed it, he was in the stand that I left earler that day...... He got there 5 minutes after I did!
Old 02-06-2005, 08:12 AM

My worst experinence was on my best day of hunting ever this bow season. Early in the morning i saw several deer, and then a coyote came throught 30 yds away, so I shot him. About 10 minutes later, more deer, and around 9:30 I see 3 big does running through being chased by a HUGE 10 pointer. Of course the only clear shot I had was where I had shot the coyote, and the does picked him off and kept the buck out of my shooting lane...The bad part is he was 30 yds away in some brush and needed to only take 2 steps and he would have been on my wall. And this was about 3 days before gun season, wheere I could have shot him easily for about 35 minutes. I ended up seeing about 15 deer, including the biggest buck I had ever seen.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never had a bad one
Old 02-06-2005, 08:39 AM

mine is when one of the guys i hunt with shot a doe and we jumped it like 4 times and then jumped into a river and died. it floated down stream about 50 yards and got hung up on a rock (right in the middle) so i told him i would go in and get it for him. well the river didnt LOOK that deep but it was, i went in and got the deer and it was up to my waist. we were a mile in the woods and it was a cold november morning and i was soaked.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:25 AM

i never had a bad hunting experiance