HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   HOW TO JUDGE SHOOTING DISTANCE (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/88139-how-judge-shooting-distance.html)

crzy_hunter89 01-27-2005 05:10 AM

HOW TO JUDGE SHOOTING DISTANCE

I am not really a distance shooter but it seems most of my shots come up at about 200yds +. i was wondering how can i judge distance such as a inch:yard ratio.Thanks alot for the help!!!

stubblejumper 01-27-2005 06:05 AM

RE: HOW TO JUDGE SHOOTING DISTANCE

The best way to judge measurements over distance is by practising shooting at longer distances.You will get to learn where to hold the crosshairs best by actually shooting and seeing where the bullet impacts.

DUCKSTAMPEDE 01-27-2005 07:56 AM

Only advice I could give would be exactly what stubblejumper shared-everytime I get a new rifle I go out and measure off 25 yards and shoot until I can be 10-10 in the bullseye-then I move it out 75 yards and do the same-finally I go 150 yards and do the same. Keep in mind I am a slow learner so that is why I do it that way

AJ52 01-27-2005 09:15 AM

I'm in shotgun only state so 25+ yrd miscalculation can mean a miss or wouned deer.
I bought a 100' tape measure and used it to measure out 100 yrd shots in 2 tripod stands and nothced a tree at 100yrd in a 3rd stand. Cheap and works Good

1865 01-27-2005 10:53 AM

I'm not good at estimating distance, and didn't want to invest in a rangefinder, so I have premeasured the distances for next year's bowstand. I have 3 pins on my bow-sight, yellow, green and red. They are set at 10-20-30 yards. I went out to the stand I will be bowhunting out off and measured those distances in several directions. I then put a stake at each range in each direction. The top of each stake is colored the same as the pin sighted in at the distance. If the deer is standing between the red and yellow stakes, I aim between the yellow and red pins. I'll let you know how it works out after next season. :)

gorse 01-27-2005 11:56 AM

-

Slamfire 01-27-2005 04:35 PM

I use the duplex reticule in my scope to make fairly accurate range estimates. First I found out that a 6" bull at 100 yards fills the space occupied by the fine cross hairs at 5X. In other words 6 minutes of angle. When I spot game that looks far, far away, I set the scope at 5x and see how it fits in the reticule. An antelope with a back to chest measurement of about 15" will fill the space at 250 yards. A nice buck meauring 18" fills the space at 300 yards. A 24" elk at 400. I know the trajectory of my bullet from careful shooting at various ranges, not trusting my computer to tell me where the bullets will go. I sight in at 200 yards and adjust my hold for ranges beyond that. If they really get long, the bottom coarse hair gives me a post to aim with. It shoots 3 minutes of angle higher than the center of the crosshair. It sure beats payin' a lot of money for one of them range findin' scopes, or laser finders that don't work so good on soft targets. I can disagree with my guide and not be embarrased. ;)

Jack Ryan 01-27-2005 06:16 PM

The pins on my bow site are all three pushed together. Top to the belly of a deer covers all three pins is 20 yards. Two pins equal 40 yards.

Turkey is the same.

Check it out and set them up with 3 D targets.

Next,

Buschnell range finder is best. Great to confirm and back up quicker tricks and tips.

Reticle comparisons. One good thing to know is the length of a squirrel from head to tail. It soon gets to be automatic once you recognise it.

quiksilver 01-27-2005 06:44 PM

I usually judge something at about fifty yards. Then, I judge something fifty yards beyond that... and so on. Gets me in the ballpark.

If I'm hunting a familiar farm or area, I usually have mental note of some distances up/down hills, fencelines, etc. I count my steps to get some rough estimates. I bought a rangefinder now, so it doesn't matter.