Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NOT MY STAND

Old 01-26-2005, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default NOT MY STAND

There are only 5 days left in this season and have a question. I was doing a bit of scouting a couple of days ago and ran into an older wood stand in a tree in a perfect place at the bottom of the mountain overlooking 3 or 4 fields. This spot looks like something off of t.v. that the pro's hunt. This stand is an older stand with a newer wood ladder, so i know somebody has used it this season. It is very secluded so it's not like it is in anybody's back yard. My question is should i get into this weekend? I don't think we have any crazy Humongs down here so i think the worst thing that would happen is somebody telling me to get out of it. Since this is the last weekend.....What would you guy's do?
Old 01-26-2005, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NOT MY STAND

You talking public land??

I wouldn't hunt someone elses stand especially an old wood one.If it was priviate property talk to whomever gave you permission and find out who put it there. Then you can ask if it's allright to sit or find out if the person will be there this weekend, if he's not and doesn't want you in his stand sit on the ground or pop in a portable.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

this is private property......i have been hunting back there my whole life. In this area the farmers don't care if people hunt their land as long as people take care of it. It would be very difficult to find who put the stand there and almost impossible before the weekend. I know state law says you have to have written permission to hunt private property, but like i said the owners don't care and wouldn't call the game warden. I guess you would have to live here to understand the situation. I know that alot of people are not as fortunate to have access to thousands of acres like this. I'm just thinking about taking the risk.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd throw up a potable stand or sit on the ground.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:38 AM

I think if it's not your stand don't hunt out of it. put your own beside it. Sore spot with me, public land or private multi hunters, guy puts stand in tree ,maybe he never comes back all year and no buddy else can hunt around their rest of year. I had permission to hunt a farm when I was scouting for a very large 10 point, I heard noise walked over and talked to a guy that hunted their before.I told him I would stay out of his area that his stand was in., that's when he told me he had stands all over the place. Well that's when I told him to give me his schedule when he would hunt each stand sence he could only hunt one stand at a time. he did't like that

Am I wrong or not.

LeftyPa
Old 01-26-2005, 10:23 AM

Lefty Pa - You made the effort to ask, what more could you do. Likely the other guy didn't have a schedule, just hit whatever stand he thought would pay off, might even switch around during the day. If you both had permission to hunt the land and you get to an area first, then out of mutual respect he should just use one of his other stands. Now if the other guy is the landowner and I simply hunt with permission, I'd offer to move on if he wanted to hunt an area I had set up in for the day.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Stay out respect the other guy
Old 01-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

what if there is not another guy? What if the person that put up the stand is not using it? There are so many "what if's" and so little time. I think i will use it or put up my climber in the same area and if somebody does show up, i will happily leave. Like I said it's the last weekend. May be worth the effort and the risk.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:42 AM

Don't think it's worth the risk.

If it's not yours don't use it. Respect the other hunter as you would want someone to respect you. You might be messing up his/her last weekend of hunting as well as yours.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you had your mind made up before you posted the question.

Quick Reply: NOT MY STAND

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.