Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 HUNTING THE FENCE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

HUNTING THE FENCE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTING THE FENCE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2005, 04:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: HUNTING THE FENCE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to say it ,
but since the feeder is on a neighboring property you don't have anything to say about it . Once the deer cross the fence they are on his land and he has every right to shoot them if he wishes . Sometimes we get a little too caught up in the "your deer , my deer" thing when the truth is that we don't own them at all , the people of the entire state do . If he isn't committing an infraction of the game laws it's his right to use his property as he sees fit . Short of treating your side of the fenceline with tiger poo from a local zoo there really isn't anything you can do about it , but you didn't hear that from me ...
Old 01-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Put up a taller fence.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:20 AM

Contact the hunters on the other side and tell them that they need to be on the lookout for vandals since somebody vandalized your feeder-this can make friend of them first instead of accusing them. Then forget the whole thing-with 5000 acres you don't need the 150 on the fence line anyway.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I'm missing something here, but are you saying that someone put up a feeder on the opposite side of the fence? If that's the case, then what's the problem?
Old 01-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Lots of good replies so far, let me explain a little more, the property that this feeder is on is surrounded by our lease on all but one side and that side fronts the main road and then the rest of this guys property (a thousand or so acres) is on the other side of the road. Now with that being said why would you put a feeder 20 yards from the fence when you have all of that land on the other side of the road and then about 250 acres on the other side of the road, why not even put the feeder in a more central location of the 250 acres. I think that implies that the sole purpose of the feeder is to draw deer on the other side of the fence. I know it is still legal and this should not be a problem, but with the deer population that we have in the area there is no need to draw deer over the fence, they are everywhere. I also think that if given the opportunity they might be tempted to shoot across the fence. What do yall think, am I making this a bigger deal than what it really is or is my reasoning sound.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: jeg3455

What do yall think, am I making this a bigger deal than what it really is or is my reasoning sound.
Yes, I think you are making too big of a deal of this. UNLESS you KNOW that this person has trespassed and vandalized your stuff, he is actually doing nothing wrong. You would be better off making well placed inquiries of your neighbors as to whether they have had vandalism problems and ambiguously asking for their help to solve it.

I have fence line hunters on all around me, some with feeders. Use it to your advantage. Find their travel routes on your property and hunt them. I have food plots and feeders on the interior of my lease, but also hunt in close proximity to my neighbors feeders. To me it just means another food source to hunt. And, fence lines are manmade funnels so I don't blame person for hunting them. That being said, I also only bowhunt close to neighbors for safety's sake.

If the guy is staying on his side, leave him be. But if you can prove he is stealing, vandalizing, or shooting deer across the fence, kick his a$$.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:13 AM

My 2 cents. Sometimes its the only place clear enough to hunt. But whatever, its not the best idea to set up that close to a fence. Makes everyone tense.

But I think you are a bit high strung at the moment. Been there done that in the same situation. What I hated worst was that they were set up to where the bullet ended up in our lease if they shot. Fences(or deer mostly) won't stop a bullet. I'd have been much happier with a stand on the fence looking back into their property.

One thing you can't forget though-- deer travel. If they are living IE their core are, is close to that fence they'll be here and there. So its no big deal really. The results would be about the same if the neighbor had an opening 250 yards inside his fence that you could not see and had food plots, stands, feeders etc.. there.

Of course I won't shoot across a fence, and I know that when I hunted fairly close to fence lines-- the deer will go back and forth. If I happened to see a good one on the other side -- sooner or later he'd be on our side for me to legally shoot. And Vice Versa.

The 200 yard rule is very common from landowners. It just keeps the peace better. But it is just the same if you hunt 250 yards off the fence or on the fence. I"d do like the others. Just avoid the area.

As to the scent things-- in TX there is a hunter harrassment law. Be very careful as that could be considered harrassment in some cases.

I'll leave with a short anecdote. Had a decent 8 point one year. Wanted my dad to get him but he hung between our place and the neighbors. Dad was not healthy and could not hunt much. That buck walked away from our stands heading to the neighbors quite a bit. Then one morning we filmed him for 2 hours and he went into the brush on a trail that went 150 yards and crossed the creek into the neighbors. Who had a stand real close on the fence. A shot rang out that hit. Oh well I thought. Truck drove up later and they loaded something.

2 weeks later my wife was bowhunting and the buck walks out in front of her bowstand. She lets it go as dad is hunting and its headed that way. Shot rings out. This time its the buck but dad has him.

After that I just quit worrying about anything. Its either to be or its not. As said, they don't belong to us, we simply have the privilege(not right) of going out and trying.....

Jeff
Old 01-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, now that I've read your reply I think you need to check yourself because if it's HIS PROPERTY he has the right to put HIS stands and HIS feeder anywhere he would like.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:28 AM

You could just as well be drawing deer off of the other persons property. As long as hes legal leave it be.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: James Vee

Actually, now that I've read your reply I think you need to check yourself because if it's HIS PROPERTY he has the right to put HIS stands and HIS feeder anywhere he would like.
CHECK MY SELF!!!! I have not done anything. If you read my original post you would see that I end with just wanting opinions. To be honest I know there is nothing that I can do about it. I will not stoop as low as to vandalize or break the law in anyway, especially since I am a teacher and my job is to educate the future of America. So if anyone needs to check there self it's surely not me.

Quick Reply: HUNTING THE FENCE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.