Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cutting paths?

Old 09-05-2002, 07:25 PM

Default Cutting paths?

My woods was cut 3 years ago to 12 inches. Needless to say it is very thick in many places. Last winter I cut about 15 cords of wood throughout my 30 acres and stacked it in small piles. Now I need to get the wood out. My question is, will cutting 5' paths throughout the forest affect the deer and cause them to change their patterns? Or do you think the deer will start to use the paths? Archery season starts on 10/15. What are your thoughts????
Thanks
Eddie

Edited by - eddiee on 09/05/2002 20:27:17
Old 09-05-2002, 07:38 PM
Spike

Default RE: Cutting paths?

My guess is that 5 foot wide paths will be deer trails within a week. I have the forestry commission here plow firebreaks on my land and by the next day there are tracks along the break. I've always been told to cut trails to stands just enough to get in without making them too easy for the deer to use. I'd much rather cut a trail wide enough to get to the wood with an ATV or tractor. Sometimes you just have to do it. Of course if those trails just happens to pass within range of one of your stands...
Old 09-06-2002, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Skyhawk, These will be deer trails within a week!
The only exception is that you can't cut a trail "too" narrow that the deer would not use it! I've been in thickets where you would wonder how a deer, especially a buck could get through it, but they can, and they can move quickly through some of the thickest stuff around!
Old 09-06-2002, 07:40 AM

Deer, like all wild animals will conserve energy where ever they can!
When you cut the paths that becomes easier walking to them so they will use them!

I'd say cut the paths and also a couple circular areas and plant food plots late this fall or early next spring. Sounds like yoy have the makings for a Deer Farm!

Good Luck!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-06-2002, 12:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-06-2002, 06:38 PM

Make sure you clear the paths next to some good trees.. you get to pick the tree where you will place your treestand this year, and then cut a path right below it... We cleared a path last year and the deer started using it in no time
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
My woods was cut 3 years ago to 12 inches. Needless to say it is very thick in many places. Last winter I cut about 15 cords of wood throughout my 30 acres and stacked it in small piles. Now I need to get the wood out. My question is, will cutting 5' paths throughout the forest affect the deer and cause them to change their patterns? Or do you think the deer will start to use the paths? Archery season starts on 10/15. What are your thoughts????
Thanks
Eddie

Edited by - eddiee on 09/05/2002 20:27:17
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 09-07-2002, 10:01 PM

I think cutting a path or controlled burns are a good thing..

http://www.cartogra.com/rs/35D6BABE-...77A760E/screen
Old 09-08-2002, 11:51 AM
Spike

We cut trails with a riding lawnmower through planted pines across or property, and the deer love them. To a point, we can actually manipulate where you want the deer to go by cutting a trail or path for them to walk in.

Old 09-08-2002, 12:12 PM

We have them in a 40 acre platte.Deer love to use them.I've even taken a weed eater and cut through brush to make a easier and quieter path to my stand locations.And the deer started using them as well.We by cutting trees you open the timber and allow under growth.Which makes bedding areas.Through some switchgrass around in those areas and you'll be surprised.

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!