HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer calling ? for successful hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/87377-deer-calling-successful-hunters.html)

Chuck7 01-21-2005 03:29 PM

Deer calling ? for successful hunters

Many of us have grunted once or used a Primo can once and in about 15min to 40 min a deer would come check it out and you scored.
Has anyone waited for about 20 min. and called again and then a deer come? I was just wondering. I've had alot of hunters tell me if a deer doesn't respond to call again in about 20 minutes . Has anyone really had any success with this technique and if you have what type of call was you using? And was it early fall winter or late winter.I hope I get alot of response on this one.

Thanks,
Chuck

ELKINMTCWB 01-21-2005 03:36 PM

RE: Deer calling ? for successful hunters

Deer come ot see about any sound just about.I have called them with yote calls elk bugles and many many more. I beleave if they are close and have not seen you yet.If you call every 20 mins or so that gives time for the deer to move in to the aria.

Chuck7 01-21-2005 03:57 PM

Dearf Sir,
My question was did this technique score a deer for you. Many have told me the same thing but I was wondering if the deer really comes to you after the 2nd and 3rd call and did you score.
Thanks for your responce.
Chuck

woody7 01-21-2005 06:11 PM

Late season I tried rattling just to see how the bucks would react. I rattled at a 2 1/2 year old 8 point three times in about 15 minutes and he ignored it as did the does in the area. When I rattled at a 1 1/2 year old 6 point he was courious. I rattled three times in about ten minutes. He started bowin up his hair right away, and after the third rattle sequence he started running around checking the does out thinking one was hot. As far as grunting, I have had limited success during the rut. If there is a hot doe in your area, every buck within 500 acres is gonna be there without you ever having to blow a call. As for grunt calls, does anyone know who makes a grunt/wheeze call. I haven't seen any that have the wheeze as well. I saw a video of a bowhunter using one, the buck he was calling perked up and walked toward him when he grunted. When he started drifting away, he blew the same call that had a wheezer attatchment. When the buck heard the wheeze, he came in hard looking for a fight. The wheeze was really the difference in turning the deer.

Chuck7 01-21-2005 06:20 PM

Thanks for the imfo on the wheezing. I never heard of that. Once when I was in a stand I grunted. About 5 min. later 2 separate deer about 30 yards on my left and my right in heavy unseeable cover grunted back in forth about 3 times each until they were a safe distance from me. I heard of the rattling technique but have never seen another hunter use it in Central Florida. As a teacher I'm always asking questions. The successful hunters I've talked to almost always use the can. Nearly all of those bucks reacted on the first call.
Chuck

Tree climber 01-21-2005 09:26 PM

I very seldom use the can or a call.I do however rattle and have had great success with them.I took a real nice 144 lb.9pt. opening morning this year. a six pt durning B/P season. all total this year I have rattled in a total of 7 bucks for me and my wife.last year I rattled in 5 bucks that we took (4 more we didn't take)for the two of us.

rattleing works real well for me in Central Fla.this year they came to the horns all the way through the season.up until two weeks ago.

Chuck7 01-22-2005 01:43 AM

To Mr. Tree Climber,
Did you use the Walmart 'rattling bag' or real antlers?
Did you call from a tree stand or the ground?
About what was the interval in minutes between rattling sessions?
15 -20 minutes?
About how long did each rattling session last?
You used it from Sept.-through January?
THANK YOU very much .
Chuck from Lakeland