HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Shed Hunting... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/87272-shed-hunting.html)

BigBuckShooter 01-20-2005 11:32 PM

Shed Hunting...

Today I went out to do some post-season scouting in an area I haven't been to in a while. I was walking around and glanced to my right and saw a shed. I rushed over and picked it up and did a scan of the area. Not seeing anything I did some circles around it. I got to about a 100 yards away and didn't find anything so I went back to where I found it. I could identify the exact spot because the ground was tore up a little. Well I looked at the spot where it laid and not 5 feet from where it lay was a mathed set of a smaller buck. I couldn't believe I didn't see them when I first was there. I walked around a bit and found another shed but couldn't find its match. By far the best day I have ever had looking for sheds. I found 4 total and thats more then I have ever found in the last couple of years. There was also lots of elk droppings but I just couldn't find any sheds from them. It was a good day though, found a couple of hunting spots and some sheds.

North Texan 01-21-2005 08:58 AM

RE: Shed Hunting...

Sounds like a productive day. I usually find all mine with tractor tires.[:@]

deer-hunter18 01-21-2005 11:41 AM

I wish i could find some sheds!!! I have been out for the past 3 days and only found 1 that was this morning. I just dont think it is time yet in Iowa for them to start dropping.

m.t.hands 01-21-2005 11:46 AM

I usually find all mine with tractor tires.
ain't it the truth

once our season is over i'll start looking its my favorite time of the year for scouting anyway;)

atrautweiler 01-21-2005 01:02 PM

I've heard the larger the rack, the earlier they fall.

AlabamaDan 01-21-2005 01:46 PM

Don't the sheds get eaten by other animals? I've never seen one.

m.t.hands 01-21-2005 01:55 PM

hey bamadan, yea they do, around here its hard to find one that squirrels haven't gotten a hold of, but every now and then you luck up and find one that hasn't been bothered....

best of luck

Mike01 01-21-2005 03:40 PM

Well just today I was out walking in the fields, and happened across a 6point shed, both antlers right on top of each other. First time I've ever found a full set before.

steelheaddude 01-21-2005 06:04 PM

I got lucky today

AlabamaDan 01-27-2005 04:27 PM

I read that in the state hunting reg book that around here (Bama and MS) that deer shed in March. Maybe this year I'll do some scouting around then. I guess y'all that are finding sheds already are further North eh?