Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Hunting...

Old 01-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shed Hunting...

Today I went out to do some post-season scouting in an area I haven't been to in a while. I was walking around and glanced to my right and saw a shed. I rushed over and picked it up and did a scan of the area. Not seeing anything I did some circles around it. I got to about a 100 yards away and didn't find anything so I went back to where I found it. I could identify the exact spot because the ground was tore up a little. Well I looked at the spot where it laid and not 5 feet from where it lay was a mathed set of a smaller buck. I couldn't believe I didn't see them when I first was there. I walked around a bit and found another shed but couldn't find its match. By far the best day I have ever had looking for sheds. I found 4 total and thats more then I have ever found in the last couple of years. There was also lots of elk droppings but I just couldn't find any sheds from them. It was a good day though, found a couple of hunting spots and some sheds.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shed Hunting...

Sounds like a productive day. I usually find all mine with tractor tires.[:@]
Old 01-21-2005, 11:41 AM

I wish i could find some sheds!!! I have been out for the past 3 days and only found 1 that was this morning. I just dont think it is time yet in Iowa for them to start dropping.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually find all mine with tractor tires.
ain't it the truth

once our season is over i'll start looking its my favorite time of the year for scouting anyway
Old 01-21-2005, 01:02 PM

I've heard the larger the rack, the earlier they fall.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:46 PM

Don't the sheds get eaten by other animals? I've never seen one.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey bamadan, yea they do, around here its hard to find one that squirrels haven't gotten a hold of, but every now and then you luck up and find one that hasn't been bothered....

best of luck
Old 01-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Well just today I was out walking in the fields, and happened across a 6point shed, both antlers right on top of each other. First time I've ever found a full set before.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:04 PM

I got lucky today

Old 01-27-2005, 04:27 PM

I read that in the state hunting reg book that around here (Bama and MS) that deer shed in March. Maybe this year I'll do some scouting around then. I guess y'all that are finding sheds already are further North eh?

Quick Reply: Shed Hunting...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.