Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shoot a doe!!!

Old 01-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: shoot a doe!!!

I bought 8 doe tags in SD this year and filled them all. I consider myself lucky if I don't get a buck. In my neck of the woods if season is during the rut, the bucks don't taste good at all to me. We have so many big fat does in the area that I hunt that they have to be harvested. The last day of season for rifle I know I saw 200 mule deer doe that day. They were all over the winter wheat fields and alfalfa fields. The season didn't make the smallest dent in the doe population. Thats because a lot of people just won't shoot the does. When disease and overpopulation wipes out the herd maybe the buck only hunters will be happy. Thats what will happen. Over the years I have seen the cycle repeat several times.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the ladies,deer meat is deer meat.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually take a doe or 2 in early bow season and buck hunt during the rut. I can't tell the difference in the meat as both are good eating. I agree that a hunter should take mature does and pass on young bucks but as long as you're following hunting regulations for your area it's really up to the individual hunter. I've really made an effort in the past 2 years to identify button bucks and let them walk but I don't rag on other hunters if they kill them as long as their legal.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think everyone has their own opinion on the matter, but for me a mature animal is most important - if it's a doe it's meat in the freezer, if it's a buck then it's the same as a doe with a little extra icing on the cake.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:28 PM

nice trophy bucks are nice but does are just as nice and I think the meat is more tender anyway
Old 01-31-2005, 03:38 PM

i love deer meat. and i shoot a few does a season and usually one buck. i am guilty of taking a couple of button bucks but trust me if i knew they were button bucks i would not have shot. but like you others said it is all up to the individual hunter to make the choice.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: treestandstealth

nice trophy bucks are nice but does are just as nice and I think the meat is more tender anyway

I always thought that doe meat was more tender especially compared to the mature bucks. This year all my buck hunting friends didnt get any deer except 1 got his buck. They asked me for meat but i said no. They have probelms shooting doe but when they have no deer in the freezer they dont have a problem asking me for meat. I told them it sucks to be you.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:06 AM

Here in Indiana, you are only allowed 1 buck for the year. So, if you want more meat, you have to kill a doe or two. I have my lifetime license and filled 6 tags for the season. I also think if everything is done right, no difference at all in the meat. Everyone hunts different and I wont hold that against them!
Old 02-02-2005, 05:07 AM

I have no problem with people shooting does and I agree its what ever you mant to take but some of my hunting partners are buck only hunters I will shoot does all season but if a big buck presents him self I have no problem taking him either but when my buck hunting buddies dont get there buck it sure doesnt bother them to eat some of my doe meat.Jimmy
Old 02-06-2005, 06:07 AM

many clubs in lower alabama require you to shoot a doe before you take a buck.