HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Alabama Whitetail (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/87028-alabama-whitetail.html)

BASEBALLCRAZY 01-19-2005 07:27 AM

Alabama Whitetail

Just returned from my hunting trip in Alabama. Here's a picture of my 9 point (mainframe 6 with 3 kickers). He weighed 175 lbs. I harvested him with a Browning A-bolt stainless stalker in a 270. The bullet was a 130G Winchester ballistic silver tip bullet. He was hit in his left shoulder. The bullet demolished his shoulder, but never made it into his vitals. The bullet was stuck in his ribcage. Has anyone else encountered this bullet not penetrating the deer all the way through? The deer only ran 20 yards after he was shot. He was shot from 80 yards away.

cardeer 01-19-2005 07:38 AM

RE: Alabama Whitetail

Nice buck, No I use a big slug gun and it blows baseball size holes in the rib cage and passes thru.

nubo 01-19-2005 07:44 AM

He's a darn good looking buck,I shot a 6 point once with my Sako270win and hit him in the neck and I found the tip inlodged about 6 inch's from the bullet entry . I seriously think that these creature's bone stucture can definetly take one hell of an impact .
Although 130gr bullet's are perfect for deer ,the silver tip's are soft and when they contact anything in your pocket, or bounce around on the dash of your truck, they will damge the tip,maybe this is partly the reason.The tip isn't true anymore so when they contact bone with the damaged part of the tip and deflect ,losing most of it's energy from the head on contact.
I shoot a Sako 270 win and I shoot 140gr Winchester Fail safe's and this is just my opinion. The damaged tip's seem to lose some of thier steam.

nubo

m.t.hands 01-19-2005 07:48 AM

the only thing i can tell you is that the bt's are not made for bone, i have shot and killed several deer w/bt's but i keep going back to partitions for performance that has never left me scratchin my noggin..

btw nice deer, was he working on that huge scrape behind you

treehunter 01-19-2005 07:56 AM

where in alabama did you take him? Nice buck

BASEBALLCRAZY 01-19-2005 07:59 AM

i hunt in marengo county,outside of demopolis,al

treehunter 01-19-2005 08:15 AM

that is down south-west of tuscaloosa right? I'm up here north of huntsville, right on the stateline.

MaverickAU 01-19-2005 08:55 AM

hey are you in harvest tree hunter. I am from Madison Alabama but i'm going to Auburn right now. Have you been hunting alot in up north this season?

treehunter 01-19-2005 10:18 AM

I actually live in Hazel Green. I hunt at my dad's land just north of New Market. I have hunted every weekend this season and a couple of day's in between. There is a possible 10 point I am after right now. My dad saw him the other day. He said it has at leat 10 points maybe more. I have a buddy that took an 11 pointer a couple of weeks ago. Big buck. You been hunting down around auburn any?

Allen Denton 01-19-2005 10:58 AM

Nice buck!! Congrats!!