Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

foodplots

Old 01-12-2005, 08:40 PM

Default foodplots

what do you have in your foodplots and are the deer using it .a little or alot. All i used this fall is wheat and i got it planted about the first week in oct. The deer are eating it along with honeysuckle and other weeds. My inlaws mixed wheat with oats and its being used heavy they have 5 plots on a half mile gas line right of way surrounded by 10 yearold pine trees. This spring we are going to plant all of it in corn again.I planted corn last year and after we picked what we needed for livestock feed we ran a small fire through the stalks and burned the tall grass out ,then planted wheat and oats as a winter crop. The stalks stood all winter and with the green under them the deer and turkeys couldn't stay out.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: foodplots

Several years ago we had control of some very nice deer ground and the farmer had several acres in CRP. We got permission to plant 10 acres of it in Ladino clover. Never seen so many deer attracted to a foodplot in all my life. Ladino draws them like a magnet. We lost control of this piece of property, the heirs thought that the CRP ground should be farmed, but I'll remember to plant Ladino if I ever get the chance again.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-13-2005, 06:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-13-2005, 06:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy took both these bucks this season along a ridge that connected a Tecomote Monster plot and a BioLogic Full Draw plot. The deer hammered the BioLogic late into the season and are still diggin at it now. I'va also seen some turnip patches that are awesome in the later part of the season. Of course here in west-central IL, the deer will ALWAYS key in on the cornfields! I thinik most plots in my area got hit harder than in most season simply because of the lack of mast this year though???
Old 01-17-2005, 01:31 PM

I like to just plant a mixture of rye grass and clovers. That usually works down here in the south, especially as it gets later into the season.