Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Bino ques.  Given the choice between.... >

Bino ques. Given the choice between....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bino ques. Given the choice between....

Old 09-03-2002, 07:27 AM

Default Bino ques. Given the choice between....

...a set of 8x42 or a set of 10x42 binoculars, which would you get?

Assume they are a good brand, have equal options, and the 10x42s are about $50 more.

I know everyone will have varying opinions on brands so I'm not particularily interested in that. What I'm curious about is simply the power. I hunt in the northeast mostly in hardwoods (which can sometimes be very thick) and occasionally along cropfield edges. Some of these fields can span 300+ yards.

-Mike

Old 09-03-2002, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bino ques. Given the choice between....

Given the type of terrain and cover you are hunting I would choose the 8x42 binocular. They will give you better light gathering ability during the peak movement times of dawn/dusk. At 300 yards and less you will benefit far more from additional light gathering than you would from the the additional magnification of a 10x42.

"If you can't change your circumstances then you need to change your perspective."
Old 09-03-2002, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

I would agree with RuRu12. From what you have told
us the 8x42's would be a better choice for the area
you are hunting.

Good Luck
TB

Old 09-04-2002, 09:56 PM

Dear MJL927,
I had the same questions when buying my last set of binoculars. One answer you may find helpful is from the Calvin College Observtory Dept of Physics and Astronomy. "The area of the objective lens aperature (the diameter squared) determines the amount of light gathered, hence the ability to see fainter objects and objects in dimmer light conditions. Also to be considered is the field of view at a set distance." So what all that means is that the bigger the objective lense, ie. the 50 on a set of 7x50s, the more light a given set will gather; the magnification has nothing to do with this light gathering ability. At a set distance the "field of view" will be smaller with higher magnification, larger with lower magnification.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:33 PM

The magnification will have an effect on the brightness of the object when you have two different magnifications with the same size objective lens. A pair of 8X42 binoculars will ahve a larger exit pupil than a set of 10X42. The following quote is taken from celestron.com "The diameter, in millimeters, of the beam of light that leaves the eyepiece of a pair of binoculars is the "exit pupil". The larger the exit pupil, the brighter the image obtained will be. Having a large exit pupil is advantageous under low light conditions and at night."

To calculate the exit pupil of a pair of binoculars you divide the objective lens by the magnification. Using this a pair of 8X42 binoculars will have an exit pupil of 5.25 and a pair of 10X42 will have an exit pupil of 4.2 therefore the image with the 8X42 will appear brighter in low light conditions.

It's commonly stated that an average young adult under dark night conditions has entrance pupils that are about 7mm in diameter. Using this info binoculars with an exit pupil greater than 7 cannot be used to there full potential with the average eye. An exit pupil of approximately 5 is recommended alot of the time for binoculars if you will be using them in low light conditions.

After all that if you will be using your binoculars in tighter conditions where very long distances are not common and you will be in lower light conditions I think the 8X42 will give you the best results.
Cam's Hunting Page
Old 09-04-2002, 11:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 12 X 50's for spotting waterfowl and scouting (truck bino's), but when I hunt I carry 8 x 42's.

Why? Because the 12's give me great long range viewing, but as said viewing area is smaller, also due to the higher magnification shaking is pronounced when free handing these nocs. Lighter and more compact is probably the biggest reason I tote the 8's. Finally picking up your object is much quicker with a set of 8's (larger viewing area).

If your constantly scanning long range 300 plus and you want to field judge, then really the bigger the better provided you have a rest or tripod. (ie spotting scope)

Old 09-05-2002, 06:49 AM

Hey everyone, Thanks for the info. You've all pretty much confirmed my thoughts as well. Better to get second opinions though from others with experience. After losing my bino's about two weeks ago (read my "good news, bad news" post) I need to buy a new set. Decided to jump into a much better pair.

-Mike
Old 09-07-2002, 12:57 AM

If given the choice of the two i would take the 10x40 but i would buy one of the best pair. Which the diff is around 200. I belive in buying a better binoc than scope so if you are going to buy a pair don't settle with good do better. A better pair will last you forever and you need to see the animal before you can shoot him. Thats why binoc are very important.

Why work when you can hunt???? Heck why work at all!!
Old 09-08-2002, 02:07 PM

The 8x42 will give you a wider field of view, but less magnification so you'll have less detail at longer range. The 10x42 will give your a narrower field of view, but greater magnification so you'll get more detail at longer range. It realy depends on where you hunt primarily. If your mostly in thicker cover, shorter distances, then the 8x42 would be the way to go. If your mostly hunting longer distances over open country then the 10x42 would be the way to go. If your trophy hunting then go with the 10x42 for more magnification and detail on making the shoot, don't shoot decision.