HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   When do you start hunting sheds? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/85470-when-do-you-start-hunting-sheds.html)

Ken B 01-06-2005 06:08 PM

When do you start hunting sheds?

So, in a general sense, do deer start to shed in Feb, March...when 'should' you expect to start seeing some?
thanks

this will be the first off season on the lease, and I'd like to try my hand at finding some and seeing what I might be missing from the stand

Ken B
North Texas

MOTOWNHONKEY 01-06-2005 06:30 PM

RE: When do you start hunting sheds?

A buddy of mine already found some sheds. I usually look in february.

wvdeer4u 01-06-2005 10:31 PM

I do most of my shed hunting in urban areas and try and jump a few in late jan to early feb just to see where they are at. Urban deer won't go far and will return. In the woods and farm land if noone else is looking there I wouldn't go until late feb and all of march into early april. My first last year was jan 15th.
I have learned to like hunting in the snow. If you get about 6-10 inches of snow that lasts for 2-3 weeks, at peak drop time, with no new snow the sheds sit right on top of the snow. If there are no tracks in the snow you no no deer have been there.

Striper Phil 01-07-2005 04:28 AM

Shot a young buck December 31 and he had shed already.

Tree climber 01-07-2005 06:34 AM

you know I have hunted for 45 years or so and turkey hunted for over 30 years and have only found one fresh shed.it was at a feed station the week deer season went out.I have found a few that was a year old,already eaten up by rats and squirrels.
course in Fla. we have to deal with all the leaves and no snow.

TeeJay 01-07-2005 06:53 AM

I have seen them shed bu xmas and ive also seen them carrying them into April. I think it has everything to do with genetics and nutrition. My recomendation is find a heavy used trail and walk it frequently starting today. When you find a shed then branch off on the secondary trails. Good Luck

LocknLoad 01-07-2005 09:36 AM

I had a discussion with the property owner of the land I hunt on; he told me that he had just found a 5 point shed a couple of days ago. We had our discussion on Dec 31 so he must have found it the 28th or 29th. I think TeeJay advised you right.
Good Luck

LnL

Hiawatha 01-07-2005 11:11 AM

I usually start after Christmas anytime, i found my first set last year on Dec 28th. This year i was hunting mule deer on the 27th of december and seen one buck that was half shedded. So from now till middle of may i will be out pokin around for horns. Can vary alot even in the same area.

Nate58102 01-07-2005 11:43 AM

I have never found one but i have never went looking in the spring i have only been with peolpe that have found them walking for deer of something but i havent ever found one