HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer Feeders (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/85154-deer-feeders.html)

Tikka 30-06 01-04-2005 06:58 PM

Deer Feeders

Do any of you guys use deer feeders. If so, have you ever made one yourself. And how do these work

SeaHunter 01-04-2005 07:24 PM

RE: Deer Feeders

I make my own but I just kinda wing it. I take a 5 gallon bucket and in the center of the bottom I drill a 1 3/8" hole then I use about 18" of a 1" wooden dowel. about 4" in from one end I drill a 1/4" hole and put in about 4" of a 1/4" dowel. this dowel will allow the large dowel to pivot and allow the corn to drop out when bumped. I assume to can adjust this if you use a larger or smaller type of feed.

The wooden contraption is what I maked one day so I can put a feeder out in a grass field.

kevin1 01-04-2005 07:28 PM

I just bought one for my wife recently so that she can watch the wildlife at our new home .

There are many different types of feeders out there , ours is one of the most common , a barrel fed grain flinger . It uses a timer to release feed and a spinning disc to discharge it . Most are battery operated , ours has a rechargeable battery and solar panel . This type normally stores and dispenses 25# or more of feed , ours holds 225#.

Another type is the bucket feeder , it holds a small supply of feed and dispenses it into a tray via gravity . This kind must be monitored frequently since it has no way to regulate consumption , and is subject to spoilage from rain . A variant of this design uses a dangling lever that the animal must rub against to dispense the feed . Yet another variant is constructed from 6" or larger PVC tubing and dispenses onto a tray via gravity . This model can be constructed easily and inexpensively from commonly available materials , and is limited only by the imagination of the builder .

Cattle feeders from farm supply stores can be pressed into service , as can PVC tubs from the dollar store as long as the feed is protected from rain and has adequate drainage .

Tikka 30-06 01-04-2005 07:55 PM

do you think that if a deer bumped into that pole it would scare them away

defendwihunters 01-04-2005 08:21 PM

My folks have kind of a woody area in the back of their condo and once in a while we'll see a deer back there, but what I'm wondering is, would it be dangerous for the deer to do something like this to draw them in that area with a busy road very close to it? Wouldn't want anyone to hit a deer because they lured one behind their home!! I just know my mom loves to see them around once in a while and wondered if there is a way to "attract" them, but as I mentioned, do worry about that road. It has a lot of traffic day an night, too.

AlabamaDan 01-04-2005 09:29 PM

I've heard of people using salt blocks. That might be easier than a corn feeder.

TimberCreek 01-05-2005 07:17 PM

4 foot piece of 3" or 4" PVC 1 elbow and two caps. cut approx. 1/3 of one of the caps off, the corn will gravity feed through this hole into a small pile as they eat the corn more feeds out into the pile. The other cap goes on the top. Works great I have Three on my property and can't keep the deer away.

cardeer 01-06-2005 02:51 AM

I use the bucket also,But just cut small slots around the bottom on the side. When bumped it falls out. Deer learn fast. But so do the tree rats

strut 01-06-2005 05:52 AM

Heres one I made about 3 or 4 years ago, it holds 200lb of corn, I like it very well for deer, I have taken several thousand pictures from around this feeder. It cost abou 60 bucks to build, you could make it cheaper but I used all treated lumber and new materials.

Deleted User 01-06-2005 06:23 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]