Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What are your favorite memories of getting ready to go hunting as a kid? >

What are your favorite memories of getting ready to go hunting as a kid?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are your favorite memories of getting ready to go hunting as a kid?

Old 01-05-2005, 09:41 PM

Default RE: What are your favorite memories of getting ready to go hunting as a kid?

hunting days so memorable, like the smell of the combination of strong coffee and my dad farting while being couped up in a Volkswagon bug en route to the dove hunting spot.
haha, or your relatives snoring so loud that you start twitching from sleep deprovation.

anyway, i always love getting up like 2 hours in advance and just lookin over all my stuff. especially the gun. i always just kinda stare at it and pretend trees are animals. haha. i like just daydream and i always get that feeling that im gunna get a monster. even though i never do. lol
Old 01-06-2005, 07:37 AM

Default RE: What are your favorite memories of getting ready to go hunting as a kid?

Being referred to as the
"Worst case of buck fever I've ever seen"
but hey, first deer, a happy memory too.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:22 AM

I remember before my first hunt going to a sporting goods store with my dad and getting my first knike. I was a plain old skinning knife but I remeber how cool I thought I was because I had my wn knife. It looked exactly like this.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me it was the evening before opeing morning of dove season. We hosted a big dove shoot when I was young and all of my dads buddies would come down for the shoot and spend the night in the house my grandma lived in before she died. All the guys would stay up late telling stories and I was so exicted there was no way that I could sleep.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite memory was waking up the second morning of buck season in 92' as a 12 year old. This was my second season out as a hunter, and hunting with my dad meant the world to me. We had not much in common when I was a kid and I only got to see him on weekends, however we never missed the first day when I was a youngster. At 7:30 AM, we had seen a few does and I had never yet seen a buck in the woods while hunting. A 3 point yearling walked up about 100 yards away feeding. Being that I was only 12, and could barely hold the Ruger 06' up to my shoulder, my dad held his knee up and I rested it acrossed his knee......and managed to make a perfect shot on the buck. This spot in central Vermont that we sat in together is a very special spot to me, 3 years later I moved hundreds of miles away to central PA when he stayed in Vermont and I only got to see him about once a year since then. I just this last year moved back to the Vermont area and got to hunt this spot again for the first time since about 94' ..........on the second morning of archery this season I managed to arrow a huge doe in the same spot. Right after I saw the doe go down, still in my tree I pulled out the cell phone and called my father at 7am who now lives in PA to tell him I was sitting in "our" spot and arrowed a deer in the same spot as the one we got together. He was so touched that I called and it made me remember everything about the day I shot that first buck with him........12 years later that spot looks exactly the same as it did that day in 92'.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice story rick ! Hit me right in the heart.
I remember going on my first hunt with my dad, I think I was about 9, anyway I was just allowed to come along not kill anything, but I remember him stopping off at sears and me getting my first real pellet-gun it was a daisy .177. I ended up taking a couple of HUGE rabbits with it on this hunt and he got a nice doe. well in my memory they were HUGE rabbits, LOL.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I remember looking at them old hunting magazins and seeing them big old bucks in there and go to bed the night before going hunting and dreaming of someday getting one just like it. I still go to bed the night before going hunting today doing the same thing