HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Camo question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/85002-camo-question.html)

Impossible 01-03-2005 04:06 PM

Camo question

Hi guys just had a quick question,

I was looking into buying my camo clothing and I visited the new Bass Pro Shop that opened up in the new shopping mall in Vaughn, Ontario. I came across an item that seems to be just as good as camo, so I thought I would ask. The item I found was a small bag with 100 plastic realistic looking leaves that you pin on to green or brown clothing and it makes your clothing basically turn into camo, plus your camo is then 3d, so you're more disguised. I was wondering if you could tell me what would be better, a full camo suit, or just the face mask and gloves, and then green clothing covered in these? The pack of 100 leaves costs $19.99 CAN, and for me to buy a full camo suit it would cost $130.00 CAN. What's better?

johnch 01-03-2005 04:12 PM

RE: Camo question

They are ok till you try crawling thru a thicket to ambush a deer and rip most of them off .
The stems just don.t hold up well if the leaves are pulled on

Champlain Islander 01-03-2005 04:14 PM

The suit will last far longer than the leaves especially if you are walking through fields and woods. You should be able to get a decent camo top and bottom for less than $130. If you need a warm suit then just get a larger camo shirt and pants for about $60 and wear them over your coat.

beebecl 01-03-2005 06:35 PM

Champlain Islander is right. Camo is a marketing racket. Any camo that will break up your outline will do the job. Buy some cheap military surplus as a top cover and forget about it. Controlling movement is far more important than being totally camo'd, 3d or otherwise.

quiksilver 01-04-2005 09:10 AM

The pinned-on leave just seem like they would be a major hassle. Beebecl is right - military surplus camo is super cheap - you can wrangle up a set on ebay for around 20 bucks - even cheaper at a surplus store. The American stuff is called BDU camo, so if you search ebay for it, you should find it easily.

If you can afford it, you can't go wrong with good camo from Bass Pro or Cabela's. I know it gets pricy, but if you're spending a lot of time in the field and elements, a quality set of camo is worth its weight in gold.

Truth be known, you can kill a deer in bluejeans and a pink t-shirt if you can sit still, but good camo never hurts.

DUCKSTAMPEDE 01-04-2005 10:46 AM

Gimmick-not worth the money as it won't last more than one hunt-better to go with less expensive camo gear over brown or green clothing.

mlang 01-04-2005 01:26 PM

If you like the 3-d look, just get yourself some cheap camo of what ever you want. Go to a second-hand store and get some camo fatigues or simmilar. Cut up the fatigues into strips about 2" wide and about 4" long. Then just sew them on your coat, pants, hat, or what ever. It takes a while but if your board then it's cheap and works great for breaking up your shape.