Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you really need to cut out the windpipe on a whitetailed deer? >

Do you really need to cut out the windpipe on a whitetailed deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you really need to cut out the windpipe on a whitetailed deer?

Old 01-02-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Do you really need to cut out the windpipe on a whitetailed deer?

And if so, how far up, it goes all the way up... Just wondering, I have bothered to cut out as much as I could before and other times, just cut out the pipe just above the stomach. When I got my deer back from the butcher, I really couldn't tell any difference either way. So what is the deal with the windpipe? Thanks!
Old 01-02-2005, 08:17 PM

Default RE: Do you really need to cut out the windpipe on a whitetailed deer?

we never used to!!! as a matter of fact we didn't seperate the rib cage either,just cut the tube as high as we could reach up in the chest cavity its pretty easy if your knife is sharp..

as far as why its cut out?[][&o]i'm not sure-rots faster?taints the meat?maybe

good question[&:]
Old 01-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have always cut the pipe out b/c i was told it taints the meat. its not that hard to do so why not do it?
Old 01-02-2005, 08:51 PM

The windpipe holds blood close to the meat in the neck, which spoils it faster. Basically only important if you like neck meat, and if you're going to let the meat cool (not cut the neck meat out faster than it will spoil). If you don't use the neck meat, or you move faster than that, you don't have to worry about it.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:55 PM

I cut all the way up about 6 inches passed the rib bones into the neck, cut the wind pipe and work down. Make sure you dont cut ur fingers reching up there to cut it, better off cutting the deer farther up so you can see the pipe.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:18 PM

ORIGINAL: FL/GA Hunter

The windpipe holds blood close to the meat in the neck, which spoils it faster. Basically only important if you like neck meat, and if you're going to let the meat cool (not cut the neck meat out faster than it will spoil). If you don't use the neck meat, or you move faster than that, you don't have to worry about it.
i'd buy that
Old 01-02-2005, 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: onebullet

we never used to!!! as a matter of fact we didn't seperate the rib cage either,just cut the tube as high as we could reach up in the chest cavity its pretty easy if your knife is sharp..

as far as why its cut out?[][&o]i'm not sure-rots faster?taints the meat?maybe

good question[&:]
Thanks! That's pretty much just what I do, I just cut up to the breast bone and reach up as high as I can in the chest cavity and cut out as much of the windpipe as I can reach. But you can't get it all that way so I wondered if all the windpipe needed to be taken out. I don't break the pelvic bone in the woods either because then they flop all around while I am dragging them through the woods. I think you can clean out the anus/intestine through there well enough without breaking the bone.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:22 PM

this year my friend showed me a different way by continuing the cut up thru the rib in the center and up to the neck you get half as messy and just roll the deer over after cutting the windpipe as high as you can,

another trick we tried this year because its a 4 hr trip back home i leave the hide on to protect the meat, we let his 8 pt hang and freeze then cut around the neck and folded over the hide then put a golf ball inside the hide till we could slip a slip knot rope over the hide and encircle the ball with hide,hooked the rope on his little four by four and just put enough tension on so that the deer was hanging at an angle, the hide slipped down to the front legs where we cut around and slit the front legs hide back a little more tension and its was at the rear legs where we did the same again, one little tug and it was off,10 min.tops no frozen fingers aching from pulling, when i got home i did it by my self in about 15-20min
Old 01-03-2005, 03:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

No not really ,but if you take it out in one piece and dry it . It can be make into a crude musical instrument
Old 01-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Typical Buck

Ahhhhhhhh yes the windpipe quartet!!!! Love that sound! lol

Quick Reply: Do you really need to cut out the windpipe on a whitetailed deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.