Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anybody Have Wooden Tower Stands ? >

Anybody Have Wooden Tower Stands ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anybody Have Wooden Tower Stands ?

Old 12-31-2004, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anybody Have Wooden Tower Stands ?

After being impressed with a local-made metal tripod stand I used today, I came home & browsed around looking for some "prints" or "plans" to give me a starting point on making my own.

I came across a few sights offering plans to make towers out of wood, using 4x4's for the supprots & cross braces. They were designed to either place a store-bought blind or a home-made blind on top (12-16')

anybody use anything like this? I'd be afraid of the wood weakening on me....just wondering how stable it is. Not sure if I'd trust it as mauch as metal. Pros/cons ?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:35 PM

Default RE: Anybody Have Wooden Tower Stands ?

Could you share the links for the plans? I think I might make one.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DearSlayer357

Could you share the links for the plans? I think I might make one.

http://www.renterprises.net/deerstand.html

there was another with a similar stand with better pictures, but I can't find it.

I don't know if I'm sold on using wood though... I still think metal is the way to go
Old 12-31-2004, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I make wood ladder stands from 12' pressure treated 2x4 and 3/4" pressure treated plywood, they are 24x 32 platforms for about $ 42 or 32x48 platforms for about $58 .
You sit 13 1/2' off the ground.
The ones I made 10+ years ago are still good ( replaced decks and indoor -outdoor carpet every 5 - 6 years) they lean against trees in the woods all year ,probely last lots longer if I put them in the barn for part of the year.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:17 AM

Here in eastern, NC wooden stands are just about all that we use. I'll have to take some photos of some of the local condos and post them here.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Pressure treated lumber will last 10 -15 years easily exposed to the weather. We built new tower stands out of it on our place in 1998 and they still look almost new and are still rock solid. They have not even turned completely gray yet. To be on the safe side, we will probably replace them in 2008 but judging by their performance so far I doubt they will need replacing even then.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple of wooden box stands and a couple i made out of steel. The steel ones have been around 2x as long as the wood ones and moved way more also. So i guess what i am trying to say is i were to build more they would without a doubt be made out of steel!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:19 PM

I build mine from these plans. Pretty easy to build. I expanded and got more elaberate than plans. I have had deer bed down right next to the blind.

http://www.deerblindplans.com/index.html

Old 01-03-2005, 08:42 PM

I've got a few different types of tower blinds, but my favorite has to be this type:

There made out of sheet metal, very heavy but very nice....

If your wanting to build one out of wood, the best thing to use as the base is a wooden pallet. Then all you have to do is screw on 4 sheets of plywood, cut out windows and a door, add a roof, and add a few 2x4's inside for support.

TimberCreek:

If you buy a tie down kit, you wouldnt have to use all that extra wood around the base. Look at the pictures I posted, thats a tie down kit underneath the stand which makes sure the blind wont fall or shake at all.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:54 PM

TimberCreek:

If you buy a tie down kit, you wouldnt have to use all that extra wood around the base. Look at the pictures I posted, thats a tie down kit underneath the stand which makes sure the blind wont fall or shake at all.
[/quote]

Your pics do not work! I tried the tie downs, sure it will work in some parts of the country. I am in the ozarks, a few inches of dirt then rock base. The boards make it alot harder for trespassers and anti's to push over!

Quick Reply: Anybody Have Wooden Tower Stands ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.