Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Behind Fences

Old 01-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer Hunting Behind Fences

ORIGINAL: rem7400 2

Jack, Jack, Jack,

I'm not really sure what I posted that would lead you to infer that I have hunted behind a fence because I have never done so. But as is usual with any antihunter, facts usually don't matter to them. By the way, nice cut and paste on the canned hunt trial. I'm not really sure why you posted that to this thread seeing as to how it is a totally different topic than hunting high fences, but once again, being the antihunter that you are it really doesn't matter as long as it progresses your own personal bias against a legall hunting method.
Yeah, sure, OK, what ever you say. I see now you are only interested in maintanence of freedom. Kinda like T/highrack was, right up till he acknowledge he owns or operates high fence hunting operations as well as hunting on them. Bellar and his 40 acre Pic N Shoot cronies were screaming the same thing you are right now and then going outside to dope up a few for the movie stars.

Hey, if you are OK with it. Do it. Just don't come around me expecting a pat on the back.

It's not hunting and people who do it aren't hunters. They are country singers, slick paper phonys and poachers.

That's my opinion. You can call them what ever you want.

What's next? Videos on building an impaling fence? They are perfectly legal you know.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:39 AM

I know this is a hot subject, but I likewise think it depends on the size of the place. 1500acres or more is a BIG place for a deer to hide. Likewise alot of people dont fully understand what a fence is for. Its not so much a thing to prevent others from getting in as much as it is to prevent ones deer from getting out and getting shot prematurely. The greatest places in south TX typically arent shot up that much with respect too the mature animals. The typical 4-6 yr old "book class head" will be left for breeding, not shot like most think! The best ranches will take them only after they have gone down hill. Its hell to think that alot of 170-180 animals are let go because its the best thing for the herd.

The fence allows a landowner to get a better hold of the odds that are the world of big bucks. Even in the greatest of places the survival of bucks too their 4th+ year is very limited (less than 25% under the BEST conditions with single digits being the norm). There is also ALOT of work to be done too fenced herds to prevent inter breeding as well. Its not simply a matter of put up a fence and stand back to shoot only what you want. To properly maintain a fenced herd you must crop 30% of them annually!!! Thats ALOT of work, remove 30% of the herd and on occasion open the gates (during spring and summer) so others can come in and out to assure genetic diversity. Its a WHOLE lot more than most want to give credit for. NOTHING is easy when growing big bucks, NOTHING. Its all about trying to put at least some sort of containment (however small) on slight odds to help the herd reach their best.

Theres just ALOT of things folks dont understand about a properly done fenced herd,
RA
Old 01-12-2005, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Were all after the same thing, to harvest a deer, what does it matter how we get there

Like I've said before don't judge a hunters ability by the sizee of the anlers on their wall.

So I guess operations like Bellar are just a way to get there?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:34 AM

Wow, 11 pages! this thread has been going on for awhile. Here is the original post.

ORIGINAL: kshunter

What is your take on hunting behind fences?(ex. like some of the Texas/Mexico hunts you see on TV) Does the size of the length fence make a difference on your opinion? Would you hunt behind a fence for deer? Is this really deer hunting when you can restrict the deer that are able to come in and go out?

Not trying to open a can of worms, just curious on some opinions.
Now, maybe I'm not capable of complex thought like some of our friends here but I don't see the correalation between the original poster asking about a legal hunting method in some regions of the country and some of our friends ability to connect the dots between this and some guy being prosecuted for illegal activities pertaining to a canned hunted and specific violations of the law that govern such hunts. Maybe a new thread on illegal activities should be started. I would think we all could agree that ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES are not acceptable to the hunting community. But as usual with an anti________, if you have a bias, facts are just a small inconvenience.
Summary:
Legal hunting methods are good.
Illegal hunting methods are bad!

Keep in mind, some areas of the country only allow deer to be harvested with a shotgun. This must be a good thing for that community so it must be a good thing for the whole country.Right? Should we ban rifle hunting everywhere? How can you defend a legal hunting method such as rifles and then condemn a legal hunting method such as high fencing. Answer- because you are biased.
The divisions within the hunting community over the different ways that we hunt in the different regions of the country baffles me. Just because you do it one way and I do it another way doesn't mean either of us are better hunters than the other. We are hunters, a brotherhood that should stand together and protect the rights of all hunters that LEGALLY participate in the pursuit of wild game. Can I get an amen from the choir?

Some have made assumptions about me. Jack seems to feel that my conscience is bothering me. I assure you, I sleep well, all is fine in my world. I have found that life is alot better when I am not so judgemental of other people. You should try it. It is a personality trait that most people develop naturally as they mature. Good luck to you in this regard.

Mark Williamson
Old 01-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wonder how many of the anti fence (don't matter how big the enclosure is) would turn down a hunt on an island stocked with deer or other game. Anticosti (sp?) Island is one that comes to mind. Giles Island in Mississippi is another.
Everybody that hunts uses something that increases the percentage of killing an animal in some way. I include hunting food sources that are natural or man made, hunting scrape lines, camoflage clothing sometimes so called scent free, natural funnels, modern and so called primitive weapons, tree stands, and dozens of other methods. I wish someone would answer the question of what is so dang ethical of sitting in a tree with a rifle that will hit a quarter at 250 yards and killing a deer with it?
The word hypocrit is appropriate to some. Some types of hunting I don't exactly like, including the 800 or so yard shooters, but I try to keep the position of "If it is legal and you don't have any personal problems with your style of hunting, then enjoy it".
Old 01-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quit beating around the bush and changing the subject. All you guys that are high fencers seem to change the subject to long range rifles, food plots and blah, blah, blah. Go back and read the original post and than reply to it. The original question was asking us about our opinions about high fences and what we think. Myself being a no high fencer, it just seems funny that most of the high fencers get sidetracked, change the topic and start name calling. Something's going on there aye!

I have found that life is alot better when I am not so judgemental of other people. You should try it. It is a personality trait that most people develop naturally as they mature. Good luck to you in this regard.
It seems to me that you are the one being SO judgemental, we were being asked for our opinions on the subject my friend. Get it!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Remember the rules here on this site.

4.No topics and/or statements which could be used to reflect poorly on hunting, archery or firearms. Anti-hunting and other posts indicating a stance against the hunting, archery and firearm industry will be removed.

6.Please do not post anything that could be used by "anti-hunting" groups to support their cause. Remember, it is easy to take comments out of context. Keep this in mind as you post, since anti-hunting groups may visit this site in search of ammunition for their cause.

We are all fellow hunters and no matter our methods they should all be respected.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Good intent there Bob ,
maybe those will be applied to the anti crossbow threads for #4 , and with regard to #5 the antis hate whatever we say if it's pro hunting .

Your personal comment was right on except for one thing , it's impossible for me to respect a method , even where legal , if it conflicts with the common concepts of ethics that we all share . Shooting a drugged deer in a small pen is not hunting by the standards of anyone but poachers and lazy slobs . One of the bigger delights that I get from hunting , believe it or not , is watching those white flags bounding away . It always brings a smile to my face simply because it's a humbling reminder that I'm not the predator that I'd like to be and therefore still have much to learn . If that feeling ever goes away I'll find another hobby . I can't have that feeling knowing that there is an inescapable fence somewhere "over there" .
Old 01-12-2005, 12:07 PM

timbercruiser, those deer can leave the island at any time. deer can leave pens. like i said, not your deer, so you can't enclose them. even if your neighbors dont care. If they have their own deer to shoot, then why do you have to fence in your deer?

ds
Old 01-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

We are all fellow hunters and no matter our methods they should all be respected
No matter what? Sorry can't agree with that.

Quick Reply: Deer Hunting Behind Fences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.