Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Behind Fences

Old 01-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer Hunting Behind Fences

REm, You ever think that some believe that high fence = anti hunting.

You mentioned improving genetics. Are youi talking about guying breeder bucks and putting them in the enclosure or artifically inseminateing does with sperm?

At what acreage should hunters be concerned about high fences negatively effecting our heritage?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:39 PM

Jack, Jack, Jack,

I'm not really sure what I posted that would lead you to infer that I have hunted behind a fence because I have never done so. But as is usual with any antihunter, facts usually don't matter to them. By the way, nice cut and paste on the canned hunt trial. I'm not really sure why you posted that to this thread seeing as to how it is a totally different topic than hunting high fences, but once again, being the antihunter that you are it really doesn't matter as long as it progresses your own personal bias against a legall hunting method.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

REm, You ever think that some believe that high fence = anti hunting.

You mentioned improving genetics. Are youi talking about guying breeder bucks and putting them in the enclosure or artifically inseminateing does with sperm?

At what acreage should hunters be concerned about high fences negatively effecting our heritage?
Charlie, I'm not sure what you mean with the 1st question. Please explain.

Regards to breeder bucks and inseminated does, man's manipulation of the herd using these methods ultimately leads to the goal of bigger racked bucks and a healthier herd. I really don't have aproblem with that. I agree that it's not the same as killing a nice buck in an unfenced, wild enviroment but it is what it is.

How much acreage? Well, that's the $64 question now aint it? Personally, 2000+ acres would satisfy me. I reckon there could be some variables that might alter the minimum acreage requirement. Ultimately, I would abide by what the Dept of Natural Resource biologist recommended or regulated.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rem, What I meant was that many see high fence and the antler craze as a down side to hunting.

Regards to breeder bucks and inseminated does, man's manipulation of the herd using these methods ultimately leads to the goal of bigger racked bucks and a healthier herd
This is one thing I'm talking about the non hunter(not anti hunter) doesn't see this as a good thing. When they hear about ranches high fenceing and artifically inseminating bucks or bring breeeder bucks on to ranches it turns them off. They see hunting as nothing more then "trophy hunting" not game management or population control.

By the way, nice cut and paste on the canned hunt trial. I'm not really sure why you posted that to this thread seeing as to how it is a totally different topic than hunting high fences,
Do you think it's different to the non hunting public? Look at how much controversy it brings up between hunters. Do you think after reading articles like this and reading about the money these people will spend to get there "big racked buck" it looks good for hunting in general. This was happening on a 1,400 acre enclosure with a smaller pen. Makes me wonder how many more of these enclosures are like this.Even larger ones. I wonder watch Mrs. Soccer Mom thinks and how she will vote when the next hunting issue comes up for a vote. I don't worry about anti hunters I worry about the 80% of people in this country tha really control are heritage. The Non hunters.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Call me an anti if you want. Loook at how our hunting hertiatge has changed in just the last 15 years. I don't like what I see going on.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:33 PM

Charlie,

You sir are a class act and have always been a consistent voice of reason. The "anti____" tag I have directed at some of our friends here is done tongue and cheek by myself as a result of them drawing a hard line in the sand and saying, "thou shalt not legally hunt behind a fence". I did not mean to insinuate that you are of the same ilk. My apologies.

Regards to the future of hunting, yes it is changing. Some good and some bad. Some hunters hate age old traditions such as dog hunting or man drives but have no problem using trail cams, bug suits, carbon suits, etc. Canned hunts are a stain on all hunters but some hunters are confusing canned hunts with legitimate hunting methods. Some of the points I tried to make in this thread is that some people draw a line in the sand based on their belief of what hunting should be and if you don't do it their way it must be wrong, unethical, snobbish, or whatever adjective they would use to describe a fellow hunter.
Sorry, I just don't agree with someone else trying to impose their ethics on me and restrict a legal method of hunting.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rem7400 2

Trying to have a discussion with you anti fencers is like arguing with antihunters. Subsitute the words "hunting behind fences" with "hunting" and you sound the same as the antihunters. No room for compromise with the high fencers, antis!!

Jack said:
Only your own conciense and the need to justify what you do keeps you coming back seeking someone else's approval.

Nope, I'm not going to help you talk over your own conciense.

You KNOW THE TRUTH or you wouldn't keep asking the question in a quest for the answer you can live with.
Hey Jack, very well put.
I personally sleep well at night, especially after a good day of hunting. A hunter needs to look deep down inside themselves. Some just don't care.

The bottom line is live true.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

i'm just getting back to this topic.you've made your point TXhighrack i agree with you if you're situation is as you have stated.high fences are allright in texas.hey if ya'll want fence in the whole state i can't afford to hunt there anyway.but as for where i hunt only a billionaire could afford the size tracts your talking about so i'm against it.by the way for anyone interested ga. is planning to adopt a law this year requiring a minimum of 640 acres to high fence whitetails.at first they were going to make any high fence illegal but it was shot down.too bad i guess some rich politician was too lazy to hunt like the rest of us.he probably owns 640 acres in south ga.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rem7400 2

Trying to have a discussion with you anti fencers is like arguing with antihunters. Subsitute the words "hunting behind fences" with "hunting" and you sound the same as the antihunters. No room for compromise with the high fencers, no consideration for very large tracts of land where the owner is managing and improving herd health and genetics. You antihunters( I'm sorry, antifencers) get off track in this discussion and start talking about canned hunts, these are two distinctly different topics and the only common denominator is fencing so that's good enough for you guys. You gladly twist the conversation to make your point, there is no reasoning with you antihunters(I'm sorry, anti fencers. I keep getting you guys confused)
You guys have mentioned several times about the cost of hunting these fenced areas, as if this is germaine to the conversation regards to high fencing. The cost to hunt factor has nothing to do with this conversation, just another anti______(you fill in the blank) tactic to obfuscate and confuse. If you have a problem with the cost to hunt that should include any hunt that cost more than the cost of state issued license, gas for the truck and a box of shells. You see, the moment you join a club, or book a hunt out of state or a guided hunt, you are paying more to hunt than someone else might be paying to hunt. What is the dollar amount that it becomes "snobbish"?Who says it's $1000, $2000 or $10,000. What gives you the right to determine if I'm being "snobbish" because I can afford to go on hunts that cost $______.(fill in the blank)
This really comes down to ethics and as I have said before, I hate "ethics threads" because we are not all the same and some people( antifencers) think their ethics are superior to others. The fact that it's legal doesn't seem to matter to the antis!!
Bingo !
Were all after the same thing, to harvest a deer, what does it matter how we get there. When did giving a deer a chance come into play. If this were the case you anti-fencers need to put down your guns, grab a homemade bow or spear and get no help from anything store bought and go hunt a deer that way. Our fore fathers would laugh at at us, for them it wasnt about sport it was about eating and anything that helped to get some meat was welcomed. Now it's all about horns so if high fences is what it takes to get big horns well then that what ya need to do, so do it. I have hunted both. The easiest place I harvest deer are near town and rural city's. We have areas that the deer are so tame from being around human population that they dont spook when hunted, yes they are free ranging but man it feels like a canned hunt. I have hunted high fences and have not had it so easy.

Quick Reply: Deer Hunting Behind Fences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.