Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Behind Fences

Old 12-30-2004, 07:58 AM

Default RE: Deer Hunting Behind Fences

What difference would/does it make anyway?
it is no longer considered fair chase. big difference.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

What difference would/does it make anyway?
Like troy said, all the difference in the world!
Old 12-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

I've never hunted on a fenced in area so I can't really have an opinion on it?? I'd like to hear from some that have hunted fenced in areas to get their take on it. As for animals taken over bait, what about in Canada where they bait them routinely?? The woods is big up there so they do it more out of necessity but are those deer to be included in the Game farm category??
Old 12-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

When it comes to baiting I think it is really hard to draw a fine line. For example, if one person plants milo and other plants Biologic, some may think that the biologic is baiting, and the milo is not. But what if after season, the farmer puts his cattle out in the milo and biologic? Do you feel the same, about biologic?

Now fence hunting it is easier to draw a fine line. Either you're hunting behind a fence or not. It's not maybe a fence.

Here's a question for the guys who think a big ranch is okay, but a small one is not. What if you're hunting on the corner, and the deer are lured to the corner, and can only come from one direction since their are fences on the other 2 sides. This is obviously restricting the deer to the corner, and once spooked or shot at, can only run to 2 sides to get away, where as in the wild, it'd be all 4. Doesn't this kind od throw the size of the ranch and the way you look at hunting a big ranch vs small ranch different. There still can be obvious restrictions on the deer regardless of the size of the ranch.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:33 PM

Would it make you happy if it was a 5000 acre fenced area with a no shoot zone within 200 yards of the fence?

Listen up guys, the fence is there for a reason. And I think some of you guys are confused as to what the reason is. These land managers invest alot of $$$$ to have a better hunting enviroment. It is an investment, the fence protects the investment. Simple enough! I really can't take your arguments seriously if you are gonna argue that a 5000 acre high fenced area is not legitimate hunting. I wonder if you guys have a clue how big 5000 acres is?

Now, where do I draw the line?
10acres? Too small
100 acres? Too small even though alot of deer can hide in 100 acres.
1000 acres? Sounds like we got us the beginnings of a serious hunt. Still depends on how the operation is run.

Now if I go to this 1000 acre enclosure and pick my deer out of a catoloque and then go shoot it that aint hunting!!!! But if get lucky and harvest one of many nice deer on a piece of well managed property then I'm a happy camper. If you don't want my deer in the record book that's also fine with me.

Heck boys, I could make the argument that any of you guys that hunt out of permanently erected stands such as tower stands "aint huntin". Shooting over bait piles and feeders "aint huntin". Using high powered rifles to make 200+yard shots on power lines and fields "aint huntin". If you hunt anything other than public land and you do anything to alter the land to make it a better hunt, then you "aint huntin either!!!!!!!!"

Now, where'd I leave my spear sharpener?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think what a lot of people think about hunting high fences, is that if that buck wants to get away or go over that fence to the other sidebut can't, then he is penned up, as simple as that. If somebody beleived in 100% fair chase along with "protecting their investment" then they start with quality deer management, by giving them good food sources, controlling predatation, culling certain deer, and equalizing the ratio, without having to put them in an enclosure to do so. Yes it's easier when they're penned up to do this as everyone knows, but then you're hunting in a pen.

I've hunted large tracts of land (4X5 miles roughly) and knowing that a certain deer will always be there no matter what happens, how bad I spook him, how many times I drive him, or whatever, even at that size, just isn't fair chase IMO. The deer are trapped. But everybody has their own. Everyone has their own definition of fair chase. Everybody has their own opinion and I respect that. Just not for me. It's just a discussion and my 2 cents.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

not my cup of coffee......you KNOW theres game in the fences SOMEWHERE.....you know theres bound to be many many trophy class animals...you know they can hide.....but they cant run too far.....but hey....if its how you hunt.......have fun...its not my style....you may still have to hunt...but you KNOW theres game there......and htey cant go too far...me and my buddys could drive these places out and kill everything.....have one guy in the corner of the fence and have everyone line up and drive it......be a pretty neat shooting gallery.....but not hunting....
Old 12-30-2004, 04:48 PM

im for it in limited circumstances. i hate seeing ads for these pen raised bucks that are let out 4 hours before the guy flies in. just keep the bucks out of B&C and P&Y and im happy.

one question: If the area is 25 sq X 25 sq miles, or even tens of thousands of acres, why fence it? not like your deer are going very far.

slayer
Old 12-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Excellent reply slayer!
Old 12-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

i've never hunted a ranch with high fences but did get drawn for wildlife management area with high fences, the deer seem to have lost their survival instincts.like see or smell a hunter the deer usually run but not here they didnt.
dont know if it was just this area or is this common for deer in high fences?

Quick Reply: Deer Hunting Behind Fences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.