Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it shooting or hunting?

Old 12-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it shooting or hunting?

I gotta make sure I word this correctly, as not to offend anyone, so here goes. To those folks that hunt in states/provinces with very high deer numbers, how much time is spent on standard hunting techniques? I'm talkin' about those places where one can shoot a deer a day, or have an unlimited number of doe tags, where the end result can be dozens of legal deer shot by one person in one year. If there are that many deer, does it take away from the amount of time needed to scout? Is it ever difficult to locate the feeding/bedding areas etc? Is persistance and patients ever required? How difficult can it be to shoot a deer when you can literally see deer every single time you go into the woods? Since I never hunt in those types of areas, it seems to me it's more shooting than hunting. Am I wrong?
Old 12-28-2004, 11:20 AM

Default RE: Is it shooting or hunting?

WRONG!!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

rem...Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very wrong. I got lazy one year(complacent I should say) skipped out on as much scouting as normal and boom, several weeks into the season with no deer. Some mid season effort and i got somewhat back on track so to speak. Even though there may be lots of deer, to consistently take lots of deer you can't get lazy.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:53 AM

Welcome.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see deer basically every time I'm out, and even when I do extensive scouting, it still is very tough to harvest a big buck with the bow. Maybe if you hunt behind fences it'll be different.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

i agree....it is still hunting. Here in north alabama, i could get up to 129 deer in one season. I haven't got one yet. I have seen a lot, but because they have to be in such close range (thick woods) and bad luck (i missed on, my cousin missed one and a dud shell) it has been hard. I still feel real confident that between the two of us we will get one pretty soon but you never know.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:54 PM

129 deer? wow

its still huntin,they still dont want ya near em
Old 12-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

LOL , Pa residents , He said where you can shoot dozens of deer a year,I dont even see that many in a 365 day year
Old 12-28-2004, 08:00 PM

It is hunting hand's down .I hunt on 500 acr and got 2 deer this year with 10 day's of hunting .my friend was out there with me the same amount of time and saw 2 deer killed 0 but he sleep in and didn't get in his wood time .in mo we can take as many doe with a rifle as u would like. the land i hunt on is in part of the state that has a sec week of doe hunting with rifle and i was in at 6am and hunted most of the day for one week end didn't see one deer for sure . unless you have one in a cage your not sure you will see a deer in deer season

Quick Reply: Is it shooting or hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.