Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

gun

Old 12-24-2004, 10:59 AM

Default gun

can someone please help me i am thinking of buying a gun and i think i am gonna buy a remington model 710 30-06 . do you think this would be a good choice i am 15 and i am looking for an all around rifle . i am thinking of getting the model 710 because it is cheap and i do not have too much money i can barely afford it so tell me if it is a good choice or not
Old 12-24-2004, 11:09 AM

Default RE: gun

if its what you can afford-- yes a 30-06 will take an elk besides a deer- could be a good first gun
for you ----how much do they want for one in your area $$$ wise?????someone here may be able to beat that price --welcome aboard goodluck come on guys lets help the kid get started

remember safety first kiddo

ps
edit the title on your post- to "remington 710 30-06 good or bad gun"

you should get a better response to your post

answer?s above- it will help folks to help you--their are alot of informed people in this group!! you just have to get their attention. also what else would you use your gun for?

good luck again[8D]
Old 12-24-2004, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Rem. 710 is not what I would pick.
I am not sure of the differance in price but I know that the plainest Savage rifles are shooters and the packages are a good value.
The 30-06 is a great deer ,black bear cart. and will take elk with the right load.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:58 PM

I just my first gun, a Savage .308 and I've very happy with it. It was $400 with a scope and strap. My friend liked mine so much he went and got the same gun but he got the 30-06. Both are great guns and more than do the job. The only thing I've noticed is after a box of shells at the gun range he has a bruse from his 30-06 and I don't.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: johnch

The Rem. 710 is not what I would pick.
I am not sure of the differance in price but I know that the plainest Savage rifles are shooters and the packages are a good value.
The 30-06 is a great deer ,black bear cart. and will take elk with the right load.
------------
was there a specfic reason for your choice of no to the 710, accuracy, dependablity,quality cheap, was it heavy to carry??
( i know i am not lugging my mauser98 270 big barrel anymore[:@])
"a model 77 ruger 270 yes"[8D] my 44 mag ruger carbine yes

how big are ya- truthfully- steve makes a big difference!!! also where you hunt determines what gun is best for YOU

its like skis and poles or cuesticks that dont fit --ya they will work but not to utmost- optimal-best performing for YOU< YOU>YOU
Old 12-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Remington 710 is junk! You may get a good one, you may get a piece of trash, that is not worth it's weight in scrap iron! With the Remington 710, it will probably be "not worth it's weight in scrap iron!" A new Savage, probably doesn't cost much more than the 710, and will be 10 times the gun the 710 is! The quality, and quality control of the Remington 710 is horrible! You would probably do as good just picking ANY used rifle off the rack, as to buy a new 710!
Old 12-25-2004, 05:22 AM

the savage packeage in .308 calibier 500 with gun and a leupold scope get a 308 nice all around gun
Old 12-25-2004, 05:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Look at the NEF rifles. They coast about 200.00 and are very good shooters. You can even add different barrels to it for about 100.00 per barrel including shipping. I have several and they have treated me well. Walmart can order them as I am sure other gun shops can. Thay are made in the USA as well. Good hunting to you.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dislike the cheap way it is constructed .
The plastic bolt guide looked like it will wear out
A pipe recever hold it together
If you want to upgrade to a non lawer proof triger I don't know of 1
The trigger was heavy (about 6-7 lb) and had lots of creap
The groups that I saw with 4 different factory rnds were more like patterens . At 100 yds off sand bags 3"-5" groups
Old 12-25-2004, 12:02 PM

Stevo a word to the wise don't mention the 710 in here the will eat you up. I have one and it does the job with no frills. I had the trigger worked on and the gun killed everything I shot with it (hogs and deer). Spend a little more and go with a Savage or Winchester or if its got to be a Remmy get a 700. Each is just a fraction more and will last longer in the long run. I now hunt with a Browning A-Bolt Stalker and absolutely love it. Good luck with your new rifle! Gary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.