Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
If you were me...scope opinions >

If you were me...scope opinions

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If you were me...scope opinions

Old 10-21-2015, 07:34 AM
Spike

Default If you were me...scope opinions

My current rifle/scope combination is a 7mm Mag, topped with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40. I have hunted and loved this setup for over a decade now. But...I'm a tinkerer. It's always fun to try new things. As it happens, I have a Leupold VX-2 6-18x40 with an adjustable objective collecting dust. Sure, I could sell it, OR I can put it on the 7 mag to hunt with this fall.

I hunt river bottom land with a mixture of timber and open fields. I hunt stands in the woods, as well as along the edge of the woods looking out on hundreds of acres of corn and bean fields. I could certainly have the opportunity to crank the scope up to 18x and take a shot of 300+ yards. Is it necessary? Of course not, but I've never gotten too caught up in doing everything out of necessity.

Obviously when hunting in the woods I keep the scope on 6x and the AO at infinity (or maybe set it around 50, which is where most of my shots in the woods are). Then when hunting the fields, I could crank the power when needed.

So, I guess the question is, would any of you, under the same circumstances, opt for the target scope while hunting?
Old 10-21-2015, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO it would be nice to have the capability to pick off some varmint at long range, near the end of the hunt, if the possibility presented itself.

Guess it also depends on your ability to pick out game in an open field with a high magnification. Something that takes practice and not nearly as easy as it sounds.

Something else to consider is the scope itself and if the point of aim/point of impact changes as you change the power. I don't really know if it is a parallax issue or the reticle actually changes, but many scopes seem to do this.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope. If the 3x9 has been working for you, why screw with a good combo. I've used a Leupold 3x9 on my 7 Mag for decades and I've pulled off 400-500 yard shots with it. Gear that works is gear that works. But then. that's my opinion so feel free to disagree if you want to.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd stick with the 3-9 personally.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Nope. If the 3x9 has been working for you, why screw with a good combo. I've used a Leupold 3x9 on my 7 Mag for decades and I've pulled off 400-500 yard shots with it. Gear that works is gear that works. But then. that's my opinion so feel free to disagree if you want to.
On second thought I'm with Flags. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I like to tinker also, but rarely mess with my "go to" rifle very much. I haven't changed a thing in decades on my main hunting rifle.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Spike

I also hunt with a 7mm mag, The only difference is I have had the same tasco 3x9 my father bought it with. I know when your done laughing know this. I have never fired twice at an animal. and every year I pull it out and she is dead on. Thus the reason I have not upgraded its optics. I am sure as my eyesight deteriorates I will want a better optic. But as it has been the popular opinion if it aint broke then you aint gotta fix it. lol
Old 10-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I heard a guy at the range once say after putting a 5 shot group under MOA at 100 yards with his old trusty "go to rifle".

"I'm not touching a thing !!!"
Old 10-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I heard a guy at the range once say after putting a 5 shot group under MOA at 100 yards with his old trusty "go to rifle".

"I'm not touching a thing !!!"
Wise man. Many could learn from such wisdom.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Spike

Party poopers...

Seriously, I can't disagree with anything said here. I was trying to talk myself into something and figured if there were enough people that said "go for it", I wouldn't have to second guess myself.

I'll just have to be happy with what works.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2015, 12:21 PM
Spike

That's not to say you shouldn't go out and buy a rifle to put that optic on. An un used optic is a sad optic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.