Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Molasses for deer

Old 12-23-2004, 09:10 PM

Default Molasses for deer

Would molasses be a good attractant for deer? I was down at the feed store today and saw these cattle molasses tubs for 37.00 and I thought that it would be good for deer. Mostly to help the deer out where I am at and for a place to put a camera in the woods. What do yall think? Thanks
Old 12-23-2004, 09:15 PM

Default RE: Molasses for deer

i have used molasses before dont work too great..although u can buy large tubs of peanut butter now that stuff works good
Old 12-24-2004, 12:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bear and bees like it
Old 12-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard of people using both of them. I guess it resembles the smell of white oak acorns.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

It really just depends on your area! Molasses is the "glue" that holds the other ingredients of deer blocks together. In some areas, I have seen deer blocks eaten in a couple of days, while within just a few miles of difference, I've seen deer blocks rot, untouched! Generally, its pretty cheap, and unless the deer have a much better food source, they should like it!
Old 12-25-2004, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think its the smell that attracts them. makes them do bad poo- pee so i dont think they fancy it much
Old 12-28-2004, 03:28 PM

peanut butter huh?
now that would be funny to watch--like a dog with peanut butter on the roof of his mouth

lick lick lick lick lick
lick lick lick
lick lick lick -anybody got some jelly
Old 01-27-2005, 01:08 PM

I have heard of people using some kind of salt lick that works pretty good
Old 01-27-2005, 02:10 PM

My buddy uses molasses and he says it works pretty well for him, I might be trying it out the coming season as well.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:37 PM

Molasses works pretty well for my hunting area but seems like only during the warmer months early in the season.I just put out some the other day and have'nt had a response.

I agree with JagMagMan,mineral blocks don't work worth a crap on my land.Not saying they don't work at all just not for me.Mine rot apart.My deer like the molasses.

I'd like to try that peanut butter though.Could I get a tub at my local COOP store.Thats the only store around her that would have anything like that I believe.
Thanks,
JE

Quick Reply: Molasses for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.