Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting scents

Old 10-24-2015, 05:56 AM
Spike

Default Hunting scents

new to bow hunting I'm curious about using doe in estrous scent or dominant buck. Is it to early to use? Can you use them together? I live northeast Ohio
Old 10-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

There is really no definitive answer for you imo. I'm not a big fan of luring scents. I personally think anyone will be better served with trying to maintain a favorable wind direction than attempting to use attracting scents in compensation of unfavorable air currents. But that doesn't always work out as planned either.
Anything might work once in a while, while nothing is going to work all the time.
I do wish you luck tho.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Taking a wiz on the ground within rifle range or bow range will work as well as buying commercial deer scents or lures. Commercial lures or scents lure more hunters than deer.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't used scents the last several seasons. BUT I will say this. I have had a a scent stick stop a buck where I wanted him to stop. He put his nose right up to it. And I have seen a buck come in nose down on a drag line. Now, again, I've stopped using them because I rarely benefited from them and I've simplified my hunting in recent years. But I think if a hunter is smart and uses them properly they can be a good tool. I know a guy in Cortland, Ohio that takes a buck every year. He uses Docs deer scent and runs a drag line to his stand and then hangs the scent stick in a shooting lane. It's been a few years since I've talked with him but when we last talked he said he'd shot 8 bucks in a row this way.
-Jake
Old 10-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Scents are a tool like any other rool used in hunting. If used properly in the right area they work. If used wrongly or in the wrong area they will bot help.

Some have success others don't. But then scent use may not be a problem if some have their way.