Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

22 Cal To Shoot Deer

Old 12-24-2004, 07:12 AM

Default RE: 22 Cal To Shoot Deer

this horse has been beaten to death over and over.I will give mt 2cents worth.the 22 rimfire is a positve NO WAY. all the other 22 cal. would work OK the 22 hornet would IMHO also be a little small.
I use the 243 cal. and would not change for anyreason.that is why they make all cal's. it depends on the person and what they want.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:25 AM

I killed a squirrel with a .22 once
Old 12-25-2004, 09:00 AM

There will always be arguments as to which caliber or cartridge is best for deer etc. as long as there are more than two available.

I have read many pro and con post regarding the .22 calbers.
Some of the reasons posted against using it for deer hunting were, just not enough gun, not worth taking the risk, etc.

I stated previously that those statements were unfounded, obviously those posting negatively have never actually used the center fire .22s for deer hunting.

Back in the late 50s early 60s era there was an article published in outdoor life about the lowely little .222

Back then the US dept. of fish and game culled the winter game herds in Yellow Stone and other national parks where hunting was not allowed and animal populations had to be controlled.
There was a story by an US fish and game biologist describing the practice.

He gave the figures over several winters, he had shot literally thousands of excess animals and nusiance animals over that time period.
Most of the animals were Elk and deer but also included Bison,Moose,Bear and others.
His rifle was the Winchester model 70 in .222 cal.
He stated that for the most part head or neck shots were used, but in some instances such as bringing down nusiance animals or animals that had attacked people,heart lung shots were required.

He kept a very accurate and detailed journal of these kills and out of several thousand animals only about a dozen rquired a second finsh shot.

He praised the .222 as being the Most accurate and deadliest caliber for its size on the planet.
He also stated that it was the most underated cartridge ever produced.
Oh well enough about the good old days!

There are people today that wound animals that get away with every cartridge made and they usually blame their misfortune on the gun or caliber.
I have observed that when this happens they usually go to a BIGGER gun!

I know that nearly every center fire cartridge made is more than adequate for taking deer sized animals.
The caliber is not what is important in hunting it only finishes the job the hunter started.
What is important and means the differance between clean kills and wounded animals is the hunter.

Accuracy and being capiable of shooting accurate is the most important,coupled with being able to use good judgement for shot placement,when to or not to take the shot, knowing you and your guns limitations and last but not least, being capable of tracking and finding a wounded animal.
I have found dead or wounded animals for other hunters that barely went out of sight from where they were hit,that they gave up for missed of lightly wounded.
Had those animals not been found the gun would have been blamed.
I guess the point I am trying to make is that if you feel confident with any caiber center fire,then by all means use it, they are all more than adequate, if you don't..... well, use one that you are confident with..... on the other hand if you do not feel confident with most any gun,then you should not be hunting at all!!
Fairchase Larry, remember, Fences and Pens = SLOBS!
GOOD HUNTIN
Old 12-25-2004, 09:15 AM

There will always be arguments as to which caliber or cartridge is best for deer etc. as long as there are more than two available.

I have read many pro and con post regarding the .22 calbers.
Some of the reasons posted against using it for deer hunting were, just not enough gun, not worth taking the risk, etc.

I stated previously that those statements were unfounded, obviously those posting negatively have never actually used the center fire .22s for deer hunting.

Back in the late 50s early 60s era there was an article published in outdoor life about the lowely little .222

Back then the US dept. of fish and game culled the winter game herds in Yellow Stone and other national parks where hunting was not allowed and animal populations had to be controlled.
There was a story by an US fish and game biologist describing the practice.

He gave the figures over several winters, he had shot literally thousands of excess animals and nusiance animals over that time period.
Most of the animals were Elk and deer but also included Bison,Moose,Bear and others.
His rifle was the Winchester model 70 in .222 cal.
He stated that for the most part head or neck shots were used, but in some instances such as bringing down nusiance animals or animals that had attacked people,heart lung shots were required.

He kept a very accurate and detailed journal of these kills and out of several thousand animals only about a dozen rquired a second finsh shot.

He praised the .222 as being the Most accurate and deadliest caliber for its size on the planet.

There are people today that wound animals that get away with every cartridge made and they usually blame their misfortune on the gun or caliber.
I have observed that when this happens they usually go to a BIGGER gun!

I know that nearly every center fire cartridge made is more than adequate for taking deer sized animals.
The caliber is not what is important in hunting it only finishes the job the hunter started.
What is important and means the differance between clean kills and wounded animals is the hunter.

Accuracy and being capiable of shooting accurate is the most important,coupled with being able to use good judgement for shot placement,when to or not to take the shot, knowing you and your guns limitations and last but not least, being capable of tracking and finding a wounded animal.
I have found dead or wounded animals for other hunters that barely went out of sight from where they were hit,that they gave up for missed of lightly wounded.
Had those animals not been found the gun would have been blamed.
I guess the point I am trying to make is that if you feel confident with any caiber center fire,then by all means use it, they are all more than adequate, if you don't..... well, use one that you are confident with..... on the other hand if you do not feel confident with most any gun,then you should not be hunting at all!!
Fairchase Larry, remember, Fences and Pens = SLOBS!
GOOD HUNTIN
Old 12-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

a sharp misplaced broadhead will not kill deer just like a misplaced bullet...i've heard that before and seen alot more dead deer with those shot with an arrow then a bullet....i've never had to track a deer for more then 40 yds with a bow....but had to for more 200 yds with a bullet....don't know where the guy shot it but any deer i've shot with a .50 round ball out my flintlock has gone down within 50 yds....take that as you would like but that's my exper..............bob
Old 12-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

A .22 center fire with open nosed or hollow point bullets is beyond the shadow of a doubt more adequate than any bow
Well first of all an arrow kills in a completely different manner than a bullet and requires far less energy to completely pass through a deers body so this is a bad comparison. However I have never had poor penetration on a deer from my broadhead tipped carbon arrows. I have seen some abysmal penetration on deer from a 22 calibered round.

or muzzle loader as well as some widely accepted cartridges such as the 30-30.
A 22 caliber round better for deer than a 50 caliber muzzle loader? Put the crack pipe down and slowly back away. The 30-30 is basically a 150 yard weapon IMHO but within that range I would take it over any 22.

Yeah and you were wrong the first time you said it and wrong the second time as well. Many of us speak from quite a wealth of experience on this subject. I have seen deer run off never to be found from behind the shoulder hits with a 22-250 and a 223. Shots that would have been a 100 percent slam dunk kill with a more substantial caliber. 55 grain bullets CAN and eventually WILL do some strange s##t at very high velocities. If you have truely used 22 calibers for 40 years and never lost a deer then that's great. I saw a show one time about a guy who got stabbed through the brain with a steel rod and lived. True story but not a common one. Kinda like yours.

Yeah but in that case those animals were being shot for population control. In other words the game officers didn't care if they ran off and died later. They were not shooting them for meat. Also they were animals from an area where no hunting was allowed so I'm betting that getting in very close to attempt a neck or head shot was not a problem. Small calibers are often used by snipers in parks or suburban settings to cull deer. Not because they are great deer calibers but because they rarely exit the deer which makes someone being hit by a stray bullet far less likely. And yes any bullet will kill on head and certain neck shots but I don't recommend them and I hope you don't either.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 30-30 (which you called inferior to a 222) has 800 more foot pounds of energy at the muzzle than a 222 and still has more energy at 100 yards than the 222 has at the muzzle. In fact a 30-30 at 200 yards is only 100 foot pounds of energy below the muzzle energy of a 222.

Hell the anemic 7.62x39 cartridge has 400 more foot pounds of energy at the muzzle than a 222 and still has more energy at 100 yards than the 222 does at the muzzle.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:13 PM

Well first of all an arrow kills in a completely different manner than a bullet and requires far less energy to completely pass through a deers body so this is a bad comparison.

A 22 caliber round better for deer than a 50 caliber muzzle loader? Put the crack pipe down and slowly back away. The 30-30 is basically a 150 yard weapon IMHO but within that range I would take it over any 22.

bahahahahahahahahahahahah wife and i laughed hard on that one
Old 12-25-2004, 05:13 PM

My personal favorite on our Mississippi white-tails is a .25-06 Ruger Model No. 1, single-shot of course.

I do have to agree with others though, that if you're talking about a .22 rim fire, I just don't understand the desire to want to try to kill a deer with such a round. Sure, it can be done. But to me, the risk of seriously wounding the animal, but never recovering it, is far too great.

Ir655,

I personally don't think that trying to draw comparisons between humans and deer, as it relates to their abilities to take a shot, is legitimate. I've seen guys shoot deer through both lungs with a 7mm and have them run 100 yds (which, of course, they can do in about 3 1/2 seconds). It's hard to imagine any human staying on this feet for 3 or 4 seconds after taking the same punishment.

JMHO.

El Gringo
Old 12-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

well it seems like this sure has hunters divided. I respectfully submit that one should not shoot at deer with a .22 rimfire ( unless, like in JamesB's case where your family needed food and you had no other choice). As for .22 centerfire--its a tough call. I'm not talking about here in the West now where I would consider that usually,--USUALLY--normal shots are too long for any .22 and could easily stretch the reach of even moderately bigger calibers like the .24s. However, back east, where I grew up, I know several people who hunted with .223s and 22-250s. I would consider these guys very good to excellent marksman and they have had great success over the years, but, one of them lost a deer just this year that he knew he had hit in the boiler twice and the reason was that there was --as he surmised-- no exit wound--which is typical--which severely impedes tracking. He was in some thick country and looked for the deer for several hours with no luck. So, although these bullets can inflict severe internal damage--if the deer does run--it makes it that much harder to find. Also, I believe that it is possible for any deer to run from a lethal heart/lung shot from any caliber--I shot one this year (WV) with my 7mm wsm 160 gr accubonds that did not even act like she was hit---she was dead about 70 yds away--out of sight though. So if possible, i would say use a little bigger gun--if not possible or your a long timer and don't feel neccesary don't---the caliber, no matter what, is no match for overall hunting skills-- which I'm sure EVERYONE on this website posseses in great quantity (grin)

Quick Reply: 22 Cal To Shoot Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.