Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

22 Cal To Shoot Deer

Old 12-30-2004, 08:05 AM

Default RE: 22 Cal To Shoot Deer

And if you wanna use a bb gun go shoot field mice!

WE DO! At my hunting cabin, several times a year we get together and have an old fashioned mouse shoot using bb guns although the bb on mice is about like using a softball sized round for deer it does the job, leaves an adequate blood trail and results in few lost or wounded animals!
A word of caution though, you can shoot your eye out with those things!
Old 01-09-2005, 09:36 PM

do you have to ask that question i know there are alot of people out there that have done and will tell you they've killed more with a 22 than anything else you know who you are but you owe it to the animal to make darn sure you have a rifle that will cleanly take that animal its a terrible feeling to wound one and not find it (buck or doe) so i say absolutely not but of course thats an opinon and we all have one right
Old 01-14-2005, 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

The 243 is not a 22 caliber. The 223 and 22-250 are. They are legal in the states where I hunt and when used with the right bullet and within 150-200 yards they are reasonably effective. However when conditions are less than ideal you are better off with a bigger caliber

I bet if Hornady comes out with an SST bonded bullet for .223 it will kill deer. The 117 grain 25-06 thumps them. I just got a .243 and I can't wait to try the 95 grain SST bonded bullets. I can't believe 22 grains would make all that much difference.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:19 PM

the .22 rimfire is the poacher favorite pick. they will lay a deer out like a rock. if you cannot kill a deer with a .22 centerfire you should not be in the woods. they only thing a bigger caliber does is give the guy that cannot shoot more room for his error.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

the .22 rimfire is the poacher favorite pick. they will lay a deer out like a rock.
Um yeah, what ever skippy.

if you cannot kill a deer with a .22 centerfire you should not be in the woods.
And if you can't slip up and stab deer in the ribs with a hand sharpened stick then you also shouldn't be in the woods. See how easy it is to make dumb@$$ comments on the internet.

they only thing a bigger caliber does is give the guy that cannot shoot more room for his error.
Yeah, that and it gives you a certainty of an exit hole, a blood trail, a larger grain weight bullet more suitable for non-varmit game, a round that actually still has more power at 200 yards than the muzzle energy of a red ryder BB-gun, a caliber that's legal in all 50 states, penetration that won't deflect on bone or blow up on shoulder blades, and a better ballistic coefficent.

But don't fret you only left out 7 things it does better.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

the .22 rimfire is the poacher favorite pick. they will lay a deer out like a rock. if you cannot kill a deer with a .22 centerfire you should not be in the woods. they only thing a bigger caliber does is give the guy that cannot shoot more room for his error.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The negative post to the use of the .22 cal centerfire have obviously never used one. on the other hand they probably think it is perfectly ok to hunt deer with a bow or .50 cal muzzle loader.
A .22 center fire with open nosed or hollow point bullets is beyond the shadow of a doubt more adequate than any bow or muzzle loader as well as some widely accepted cartridges such as the 30-30.
Larry ,

I think the common misconception here is the difference between a .22 centerfire and the .22 rimfire (long rifle). I believe the majority here are thinking of the rimfire , which is no doubt a very unethical (and illegal in my state) choice for deer.

Oh and by the way , I'll get much better penetration from my bow than you'll get from any of your .22 centerfire rounds on deer![8D]
Old 01-14-2005, 11:34 PM

the .22 rimfire is the poacher favorite pick. they will lay a deer out like a rock. if you cannot kill a deer with a .22 centerfire you should not be in the woods. they only thing a bigger caliber does is give the guy that cannot shoot more room for his error

now i know each and evryone of us has had to track a deer after the shot. not all go down right away with big rifles so none of us should be in the woods then. be fare to the game your hunting and dont make it harder on the animal. i have harvested deer that have been shot from the roads with .22's and they are all infected and injured. not a smart way to hunt if ya ask me but then again i guess im an error hunter
Old 01-15-2005, 10:37 AM

-
Old 01-15-2005, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: deerslayer223

People may think less of me as a hunter because i use a 223 that i am being inhumane to what i am hunting but ill put a well placed shot with my 223 up against a bad shot from a bigger rifle anyday. It's all about placement.

I'm with you 100%. I've killed a bunch with a .222 just like you explained, quick and on the spot. "Experience over hear-say any day."

Quick Reply: 22 Cal To Shoot Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.