HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   rattle bags vs. antlers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/83588-rattle-bags-vs-antlers.html)

treehunter 12-22-2004 09:07 AM

rattle bags vs. antlers

My cousin and I are using the plastic rattle bag. To me the wooden ones sound better. Is actual antlers or the fake antlers better than the wooden rattle bag? What is everyones opinion on this?

minnesotahunter 12-22-2004 10:26 AM

RE: rattle bags vs. antlers

I don't know. I've got a Knight & Hale rattle bag. It's nice because I can keep it in the big pocket of my hunting coat, but I know there are other options that sound more realistic.

skeeter 7MM 12-22-2004 10:36 AM

Real antlers are I will use either from harvested animals or really fresh sheds. My reason are authenticity, ability to rub/scrape and the variablity of sound/tone a set of horns gives over a rattle bag.

onebullet 12-22-2004 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Real antlers are I will use either from harvested animals or really fresh sheds. My reason are authenticity, ability to rub/scrape and the variablity of sound/tone a set of horns gives over a rattle bag.
REAL antlers for me-1

buttonbuckmaster 12-22-2004 03:32 PM

I use the bag with wooden dow rods. I use them alot more than I ever used antlers because of the size and ease of use. I still think the real things sound the best though.

dirtbagdav 12-22-2004 03:43 PM

i dont think it matters at all how good it sounds to the human ear...

T-bird 12-22-2004 04:27 PM

I've used real antlers, fake antlers, plastic stick bags, and wood stick bags. I don't think it matters which you use, as long as your timing is right. I've had success with all, but only in the immediate pre-rut and active rut phases. Otherwise, the bucks don't seem to pay a lot of attention - mainly because there's not too much competition. We've got a lot of does in MS so the bucks really don't have to fight over the hot ladies very much.;)

Charley 12-22-2004 09:28 PM

IME, real antlers work better.

Tree climber 12-23-2004 05:38 AM

I use real horns;them seem to work for me.the bags and synthedic horns may work just as well.I usually rattle in several bucks each year with the real thing.I use a smaller set that will fit into my diddy bag.I have had 7 or 8 come in this year.some were in the prerut , some while the rut was in full swing and a couple were in the post rut,so it doesn't matter in my area .they will come to see what is going on.

IMHO ; it depends on how you feel about what you work with.if it is OK with you ,then go for it and call'm in.it works for me , so I just do what feels right.

JONES 1969 12-27-2004 04:56 PM

Used both but think the real antler sounds the best.